Some of my Da Wan stones

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I had a store years ago I sold dozens of scholar rocks imported from China. I miss them but that was then and this is now. I can't afford them any more. Most of mine were in the $400 to $900 range but I did have a few smaller ones. This one I could not part with. It was never an expensive stone and the base is very cheap. It is natural on the bottom, uncut. I display this with some of my smaller bronze statures. I call it reclining Buddha.
IMG_5502.JPG

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
All were polished by mankind, some more than others.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
All were polished by mankind, some more than others.
There is no way you can know that from the pictures. I have handled hundreds of specimens, some hand polished and many not. I have practiced the lapidary arts for many years and am quite familiar with all of the processes for polishing stones. I still have a lot of my original equipment. Additionally, I have picked up hundreds of river stones that had more polish than these exhibit. While I cannot definitively state that these have or have not been polished without handling them, my experience with stones, both found and made, leads me to believe that none of these stones have been polished by man. There is a practice used sometimes where wax is applied and this is a fairly common procedure, but one that purists balk at.
There is one stone that caused me pause initially, but because I have seen more extreme example straight from nature, I think that stone too is an authentic unaltered found stone.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
There is a practice used sometimes where wax is applied and this is a fairly common procedure, but one that purists balk at.
Last year, I was googling something about this but couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe you can help.

I have a naturally rounded granite rock that, when wet, looks exactly like my granite counter tops. I was looking for a way to get it to stay looking wet, without actually being wet. My initial thought was to try nail polish, but if there is something else that is made for that, I'd love to know.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Last year, I was googling something about this but couldn't find what I was looking for. Maybe you can help.

I have a naturally rounded granite rock that, when wet, looks exactly like my granite counter tops. I was looking for a way to get it to stay looking wet, without actually being wet. My initial thought was to try nail polish, but if there is something else that is made for that, I'd love to know.
Butcher's Wax will give at a nice sheen and show its color. That would be my first choice. The wax is durable but can also be removed.
Of course you can always spray with Krylon. Artist's use this to fix paintings. It comes in flat, satin or gloss.
Keep in mind you can't put Krylon or any other varnish over wax. You can put wax over Krylon but there is no reason to.

xseki

Seedling
Reaction score
I don't think it is polished, but should be waxed or oiled. It is better let poster explain it.

Top Bottom