Some of my greenware

Reaction score
Hey all,

I'm new around here, and to bonsai in general. I've been a potter for about 6 years, though, and hammered out some pots. Two of the round type you see below are in the glaze fire right now (they're larger), but the others are just greenware. Note that everything still need to be sanded (which I usually do after they're bisqued), so they will look a little unpolished.

You can see them at http://www.flickr.com/photos/11933686@N02/sets/72157632021793788/

I'll be glazing them in a more modern style, with dark, very saturated colors and, occasionally, some garish touches.

Any thoughts?

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
overall very nice. The larger pots seem very deep and would likely pose a problem when trying to find a tree that corresponds to such a pot.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Nice work! I think as stated above that making the pots shallower will better suit them for bonsai. Very cool though.

Reaction score
Will do in the afternoon, Big Dave. They'll be cool enough to take out without risking crazing by then.

I'm away from my usual studio until mid-december. Working out of the school studio. On the plus side, I'm pretty much the only one using the kiln, so my turnaround is about three days from throwing to putting it in the glaze fire.

Downside is that I'm stuck using pint-sized glaze bottles and aging brushes. I miss gallon buckets and chemistry to adjust the glazes. Oh well.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hey Mc.Mc.,
When you post the next set of photos, could you post them here, instead of off-site? That would be nice....

Do you sell these, or are they just for fun?
Thanks

Reaction score
Judy,

I tried. The uploader doesn't play nice with Linux. Or, at least, my particular brew. Spent a good half hour trying to get it to work, gave up. I'll try again, though.

I'm going to do another series in black clay based off of these forms which I intend to sell. These particulars are more to test the durability of the form. I do take commissions, though.

If people are interested in ones like the ones shown, I will definitely put these in the pile to make. Do you like them?

Reaction score
Here's the orange pot. It's just the right size for a decent chili convert. I have a scotch bonnet which will work with it. The colors are true in the shot.

orangepot.jpg

I'm personally not that satisfied with it. I think I'll try solid colors on this type of pot in the future.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I kinda dig that glaze, and the pot itself, but the proportions are a bit difficult to imagine a tree in. As Nathan mentioned, they are a bit deep, except for use as cascade pots. But I'm looking forward to seeing more...

Reaction score
Thanks. I'll be throwing them shorter, from now on. I'm also going to make some small tripod planters to house bits of moss.

nathanbs

Omono
Reaction score
Here's the orange pot. It's just the right size for a decent chili convert. I have a scotch bonnet which will work with it. The colors are true in the shot.

View attachment 27808

I'm personally not that satisfied with it. I think I'll try solid colors on this type of pot in the future.

definitely like the color. Get it into a shallow oval if possible and you'll have several takers im sure.

Reaction score
Here's a pot which wasn't particularly spectacular. I liked the glaze, though.

Here it's shown with the beginnings of an American Sweetgum.

DSC_0066.jpg

DSC_0062.jpg

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Not bad a tall,

good training pot,

Where you at DR. in the world I mean

BigDave

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Las Gatos eh
I know it well, spent a week there one night

Maybe we will meet up sometime at a convention, and compare notes on Turning and burning

Take er easy,,, professor Doc

Top Bottom