Some of my tiniest....

Fidur

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've been developing some taste for tiny trees, so I've been trying to create tiny trees with tiny foliage.
So far, I think I've never posted these...Some come from cuttings made styling the big ones, (chamaecyparis thyoides "red star", chamaecyparis obtusa "draht", myrtus communis "microphylia", bouganvillea mini thai)

JMK_0936.jpg JMK_0935.jpg

JMK_0933.jpg JMK_0932.jpg

some from seeds.....(cuphea hyssopifolia)

JMK_0934.jpg

and some where bought in the nurserie (winter jasmin, roses, hokkaido elm with some dieback)

JMK_0931.jpg JMK_0929.jpg
JMK_0923.jpg JMK_0925.jpg

I think they are a bit more fragile than the big ones, but I try to be attentive, since with so little substrate they dry quickly. I have very little experience, so....should I be careful about the fertilizer? What about repotting? Any tips welcome...

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
I had trouble keeping smaller bonsai alive long term until I discovered they do better when repotted every year. Now my trees are doing much better. Otherwise repotting is the same. Use proportions for how much to remove at one time - 1-2 to 3/4 of the root ball removed each time but make allowances for species that don't like root pruning if you have any.
No need to be careful with fertilizer. The small ones get the same as the bigger trees just a bit less because of smaller pot size. If you're using liquid use the same mix. The tree gets less because the pots are smaller. If using pellets just a couple of pellets per pot at a time.
Little pots dry out quick in hot weather. Mine sit on a gravel tray for extra access to water through hot days.

LemonBonsai

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I know some people will place their mame on a tray filled with soil, so the roots can grow into the tray beneath the pot. Also putting the mame on a tray with rocks filled with water for extra humidity to slow the pot from drying out as fast

Top Bottom