Some of the nicer trees I've lost.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Still have plenty.... That monster azalea still looks good. :) I think you should just stick with maples, black pine. Did you get a chance to do the vinegar spray on the weeds?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_2579.JPG IMG_2581.JPG IMG_2585.JPG IMG_2588.JPG IMG_2589.JPG
Still have plenty.... That monster azalea still looks good. :) I think you should just stick with maples, black pine. Did you get a chance to do the vinegar spray on the weeds?
I did and it works... time to hit them again. The before/after pics were taken 2-7 days apart.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
What do you think your "average improvement ratio" is in years?
Mine is about five years. Longer than that and I don't work on them. I move them out. Running out of time.

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@Dav4 , I spy a Tulip Poplar poking out in a couple of those pics. Are you working on one or is that just growing in the woods?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
@Dav4 , I spy a Tulip Poplar poking out in a couple of those pics. Are you working on one or is that just growing in the woods?
They grow wild throughout the woods here. Great tree for an estate or a park but crummy next to a house and probably as bad or worse in a bonsai pot. I've got some in training pots but they're volunteers I haven't gotten around to weeding out yet.:D

VAFisher

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
They grow wild throughout the woods here. Great tree for an estate or a park but crummy next to a house and probably as bad or worse in a bonsai pot. I've got some in training pots but they're volunteers I haven't gotten around to weeding out yet.:D

Yeah, they grow wild all around me too. I've thought about trying them but have resisted yet another hopeless cause thus far.

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put 2 tulip poplars in my growing bed a number of years ago.

One, I dug up and root pruned after a couple of years, then re-planted. It took quite a while to get vigorous but is now growing well.

The other, I let develop a pretty large trunk (maybe 3"), then chopped it 2 springs ago. It promptly got attacked by bark beetles which killed the rest of the trunk to the ground. Years lost there, that tree now gets planted out in the woods (it is growing from the roots).

Still hoping to get one developed enough to try in a pot!

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Sad to see indeed. I have a Dave Bennett pot in storage he did the Ash treatment to(large pot) with the Ashes from an old Trident that just suddenly "died" - Big Dave, rest his soul said to me one time "make lemonade" while another person said "Evergreen does not mean Forever green." Thank you for not giving up - enjoy your posts ;)

Grimmy
Well said. RIP and God speed sir....

Top Bottom