Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Yeah, the Goji and the JRP were "once in a lifetime trees"... :(.
I cannot imagine how upset you are. That’s really a shame, what was it that happened again? Is it all collateral from that tree that fell during a snowstorm?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I cannot imagine how upset you are. That’s really a shame, what was it that happened again? Is it all collateral from that tree that fell during a snowstorm?
Thanks Joe. I've gotten over it and feel fine now. This all transpired during the second week of December, 2017... 12 inches of heavy snow started a domino like snapping of tree trunks which culminated in an old oak wiping out almost half of my benches. Any tree left on the bench was either damaged or killed outright. JRP was left completely branchless and torn from it's pot. The goji was partially torn from the pot and severely weakened, and never recovered...

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Thanks Joe. I've gotten over it and feel fine now. This all transpired during the second week of December, 2017... 12 inches of heavy snow started a domino like snapping of tree trunks which culminated in an old oak wiping out almost half of my benches. Any tree left on the bench was either damaged or killed outright. JRP was left completely branchless and torn from it's pot. The goji was partially torn from the pot and severely weakened, and never recovered...
The upside is that tree could have landed on the house!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The upside is that tree could have landed on the house!
Hurricane Ivan dropped 3 trees on my roof and destroyed several Bonsai trees in 2004. The insurance adjuster had a much easier time estimating the roof damage than the Bonsai damage!

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Rigt I remember reading this now. The only light at the end of the tunnel would have been if you had amazing insurance.. even then though it’s a major loss. Glad you were able to overcome it though

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think I was audibly exclaiming, "No,No,No",
Till I got to the M5F!

It means a lot, you sharing this, even though some folks may not know how much yet.

Here's to many decades!

Sorce

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Oh my goodness. It's unbelievable the number of nice trees you have lost. I am truly humbled as a rookie. I don't even have one any where near that nice. Here to hope that you won't have to update this thread ever.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Oh my goodness. It's unbelievable the number of nice trees you have lost. I am truly humbled as a rookie. I don't even have one any where near that nice. Here to hope that you won't have to update this thread ever.
I wish they were all still sitting on my benches, but shit happens.... and over 25 years, a lot of shit happens. It is what it is. All those dead trees taught me something and I'm better for having had them.

August44

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
I feel much better Now. Thanks for the post! 44

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So, a recent thread here got me thinking about some of the better trees that have unfortunately died under my care. As I pointed out in that thread, it's inevitable to have some losses in this hobby, and the longer you're in the hobby and the more trees you have and work, the greater the likelihood you'll lose some. I decided to go through my older threads and note the trees that have kicked it and... holy crap, I've lost a lot of nice trees! Amazingly enough, the list is only from 2009, when I made the move from MA to GA, and there were definitely a few more that died before the move. Anyway, here's some pictures of some really good trees whose corpses are scattered about my yard...
View attachment 154594 View attachment 154595 View attachment 154596 View attachment 154597 View attachment 154598 View attachment 154599 View attachment 154600 View attachment 154601 View attachment 154602 View attachment 154603

I cringe a bit when I look at some of those images. Those trees represent years and years of blood, sweat... and tears. There certainly was a bit of money tied up in them, too, though you might be surprised to hear that the most expensive of them was the Chojubai quince, as many were purchased at discount or grown from seedlings and cuttings(the maples). Still, it does represent a significant financial loss. I'm not a rich man. I brown bag it EVERY day, and drive a 10 year old minivan... I work and scrimp and save for every penny I put into this hobby. Do I regret their loss? Absolutely. Do I regret having owned them? Absolutely not. Each one thrilled me, entertained me, made me think... Made me better hobbyist in the long run? I think so, so no regrets:).
I don't feel so bad now.

Top Bottom