Votes: 1 10.0%
  • C: Butterwort on wood slice

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
I'm planning a display for next weekend. The tree is a (large) shohin-size Prunus spinosa (Sloe or Blackthorn). I've got a couple of options of an accent plant. I'm fairly sure what I'm going to choose but I wondered what other people might think. What would you choose, and why?

A: 'Tiny Tears' Hosta - by the weekend this should be flowering, lilac/purple coloured flowers on a stalk about the height of the display table.

B: Butterwort on carved wood stand. By the weekend there should be about 4 flowers in different stages of maturity.

C: Butterwort on wood slice (with burr veneer top).

I had also considered using a lower stand for the tree, but have decided against that option - otherwise the poll would have lots more combinations...

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Either accent looks appropriate. But, personally, I wouldn't use the raised stand for your accent. :)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Actually I'd like a "D" option, the hosta on the wood burl. I voted for hosta, but would rather it be on the burl.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Actually I'd like a "D" option, the hosta on the wood burl. I voted for hosta, but would rather it be on the burl.

I tried that but it didn't look quite right. I've got a better burl that might work with it, though it's a bit thicker and might dominate a bit.

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
well i like the first one the best, but tbh i havnt got a clue about these tree/accent comboso_O

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Me too @BobbyLane :) I think the best criterion probably is that the one you like the best is the 'right' one!

@JudyB I remembered why the wood slice didn't work with the hosta - too small:

This is the other burl I mentioned:

Looks better but too chunky I think.

This could also have been an option, but it's too big for the display space, and anyway I think I want something a little 'softer' in comparison to the main table:

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Can you show a photo of the hosta on the small burl with the tree? I'd just like to see that... I agree, too chunky the other one.
I guess I'd have to go with C if the hosta can't go on the burl.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Can you show a photo of the hosta on the small burl with the tree?

Here you are - sorry it's a fuzzy phone shot, losing the light here.

Doesn't look too bad actually, though I'd be happier if the slice was about an inch wider. I've pushed the accent to the back of the display in this one too, which I think works better perhaps?

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
(Ideally the display space would be about a foot wider as well, the whole thing is too cramped I think)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I like the flatness of the burl. I think I'd like the wood square the best, but you say not enough room.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
No for hosta...
Because I Read we use them too much.
GOriginal.

The very squaredness of The Tree stand stands out to me.
I wonder if the wood square wouldn't ease That...or Make It Worse?

Maybe a quick cut and paste on that left branch nub?

It's simple and elegant...

Bring everything with and pick what works best there...

So far it all seems fine!

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe a quick cut and paste on that left branch nub?

It points me back to the accent before allowing me up The canopy.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Sorry....

With The mostly upward Trunk...

A mostly upward hosta stalk = same same.

A few of Those purple flowers flopped Over and in different stages will be better.
Dif dif.

Sorce

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Maybe some of that foemina grass for an accent?

kakejiku

Chumono
Reaction score
Just some questions....since I have never been to Europe or Great Britain...I am not familiar with some things. A quick search of Blackthorn says it flowers in Spring, but this tree does not have any flowers. Perhaps it flowers before these others and you are displaying a specific time period in spring for your region. Not sure.

Some observations. I am not quite sure the design classification of the tree. If it is Tachigi, then the pot shape is spot on...if trying to go for a more formal styling such as Houkidachi, then it may be better in a rectangle... Butterwort on the smallest, flat burl placed slightly in front of the table (closer to the viewer) seems to enhance the flow (nagare) of the tree most appropriately. The other pot for the other kusamono seems too large and distracts from the main tree.

Too bad they can not give you about 1 more foot on each side. A little more space would go a long way.

Also, try placing the pot a little to the right on the table rather than directly in the center. See if it enhances the flow any...

Thanks for posting and your hard work on your tree and kusamono.

TomB

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts Jonathan. Blackthorn flowered in my area around a month ago (although this particular tree has not flowered). They typically flower on bare branches, much like Prunus mume. In terms of season, I would say we are moving from late spring into very early summer. The foliage is still fresh but past its first flush. Hence the flowering accent for the coming season.

In terms of tree design, I would describe this as an informal styling (maybe even naturalistic :) ). The movement of trunk and branches is too irregular for a formal design. It was in a rectangular pot last year (a larger one just for development purposes) and didn't look right. I don't think this is quite the right pot yet - I want one which is similar, but a little less 'chunky' and less rustic. It is the most suitable I currently have available though. The tree should also be planted very slightly further to the right, I think.

I have been looking at the pots again and I think I now agree about the pot the Hosta is in. The shape is clashing with the rest of the display, I think because of the steep angle of the pot sides. The fact that the display space is so small makes the problem seem worse.

I think I may need to give this a little more thought :)

Top Bottom