Some photos from Japan

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
I had the chance to visit a place that I find extraordinary. :)
It is the Saihoji also known as Kokedera or more commonly known as the moss temple.
It is located in the west of Kyoto.

I arrived there in autumn and I was able to enjoy the light of this season as well as the shimmering colors.
It is a place that invites to meditation, the monks plunge you in the atmosphere as soon as we arrive by inviting the visitors to participate in a Buddhist ceremony during which the monks recite a prayer. During this time, the visitors have to copy a sûtra in kanji.
A sutra is a writing of Buddha's teachings.
One should not be afraid of not mastering the Japanese language.

Afterwards, the monks distribute a small wooden slat called gomagi during the ceremony and the chanting.
On it, the visitors are invited to write a vow. The writing time does not exceed five minutes.

Once the vow is copied on the wooden slat, it is given to the monks who will burn it during a prayer, explaining that it is the smoke of this fire which will transmit the vows to the deities.

This ceremony allows us to immerse ourselves in the atmosphere of Koke-dera which is an invitation to meditation.

Some personal advice, be respectful of the place, silence is required.
Take your time and let the hurried visitors go before you.
Soak up the atmosphere.
Personally, I visited this place twice, each time I did two tours of this garden.
The first time to visit and take pictures and the second time when the most hurried and often noisy visitors have already left the place to soak up the atmosphere of the place.
This temple and especially its garden are really worth a visit, it is also listed as a Unesco World Heritage Site.
If you have the opportunity to go to Kyoto, you should not miss the opportunity to visit this garden.
Be careful, the visit is not free +/- 26.46 USD, and you have to book the visit in advance.

Here are two links that will give you all the necessary information. ;)

http://saihoji-kokedera.com/en/about.html

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3937.html

I hesitated to show you all the pictures that are going to follow, there are maybe too many, but I told myself that those who don't like them, don't have to look at them. :)

DSC_0616.JPG

DSC_0618.JPG

DSC_0617 bis.jpg

DSC_0571.JPG

DSC_0619.JPG

DSC_0577bis.jpg

DSC_0572.JPG

DSC_0625.JPG

DSC_0574.JPG

To be continued. :) ;)

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
Thank you for your messages.

I was a little worried that this story at the Kokedera would not be appreciated because there were no bonsai trees.

For me, this garden is magical

The visit continues. :)

DSC_0611.JPG

DSC_0614.JPG

DSC_0615.JPG

DSC_0617.JPG

DSC_0621.JPG

DSC_0622.JPG

DSC_0624.JPG

DSC_0626.JPG

DSC_0627.JPG

Toche

Mame
Reaction score
DSC_0723.JPG

DSC_0721.JPG

DSC_0725.JPG

DSC_0726.JPG

DSC_0730.JPG

I was intrigued by this gardener's work.

DSC_0731.JPG

I approached him to see what he was doing.

DSC_0733.JPG

DSC_0734.JPG

I was surprised to see that he was removing old pine needles. o_O :)

DSC_0735.JPG

As I continued my journey, I could see that this was a very common practice in the parks in Japan.
In a park, I could even see that they were using a crane with a basket to do this work.I was intrigued by this gardener's work. 🙂

Attachments

• DSC_0727.JPG
    DSC_0727.JPG
    154.5 KB · Views: 11

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
So many of these pictures, posts 91-95, resemble areas around Door County (the knuckle through tip of the “thumb” of Wisconsin) that I frequent.. just with differing VARIETIES of trees, people and structures.... the river.. and tended viewing stones are fantastic, thank you, again, for sharing.
I was a little worried that this story at the Kokedera would not be appreciated because there were no bonsai trees.
Hehe! Naaah!

We like nature.. lots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I almost went when I was in Japan back in about 2008. I ended up not being able to at the time. I still want to go, but I haven't been able to make it back to Japan.

TinyArt

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Love the low-angle light and long shadows in the sequence above --

-- and the confirmation of my suspicions about meticulous gardeners!

Top Bottom