Some photos from the California Shohin seminar exhibit this weekend

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Are our shohin bigger than what's being shown in Japan? Not talking about our Lonestar material, just the rest of the USA shohin. The shohin in the images look big and tall.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Are our shohin bigger than what's being shown in Japan? Not talking about our Lonestar material, just the rest of the USA shohin. The shohin in the images look big and tall.
Generally speaking, I would say that yes, they are. There are far more growers in Japan than here in the USA, and therefore far more quality, aged, little trees. I have seen pictures on www.bonsaitonight.com of nurseries that Jonas has visited where there are literally thousands of “to die for” Shohin.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I guess my focus will be to make smaller trees. I'm aiming for ones that fit into pots 5 to 6 inches in width. I feel like trees in 6 to 7 inch pots are still big. I like them, but getting close to the threshold. Just thinking someday I might want to have stuff to enter a show, and I want it to be right

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
my display

Nice!

Thanks for realizing how slight that pause was!

These Details are why I like shohin so much, that and the fact that, in order to make the displays as excellent as possible, we MUST work together. Here, as a club, to borrow a stand, whatever it may be.

Even @maria kapra , probly yearns for just the right piece sometimes!
(Watched the YouTube vid recently)

Most of us lack the space to house what is necessary to make a perfect display.

What I like best is what I've found to be one or 2 bright, striped, or otherwise "gawdy" pots which tend to make the displays extra special.

I am going to start offering "Shohin Sets".
Variations of 3-7, round, oval, rectangle, bright and ugly, melted, accent, etc, as to provide a "starting point".

Still working on a "box top" design or 2.

Which for me, is the one you have bottom right.
That fattie should probably be potted specifically to hold that bottom left spot.
Maybe a shallower pot with a highish stand.

Is that your box stand? Your stand to perfect?

Sorce

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Nice!

Thanks for realizing how slight that pause was!

These Details are why I like shohin so much, that and the fact that, in order to make the displays as excellent as possible, we MUST work together. Here, as a club, to borrow a stand, whatever it may be.

Even @maria kapra , probly yearns for just the right piece sometimes!
(Watched the YouTube vid recently)

Most of us lack the space to house what is necessary to make a perfect display.

What I like best is what I've found to be one or 2 bright, striped, or otherwise "gawdy" pots which tend to make the displays extra special.

I am going to start offering "Shohin Sets".
Variations of 3-7, round, oval, rectangle, bright and ugly, melted, accent, etc, as to provide a "starting point".

Still working on a "box top" design or 2.

Which for me, is the one you have bottom right.
That fattie should probably be potted specifically to hold that bottom left spot.
Maybe a shallower pot with a highish stand.

Is that your box stand? Your stand to perfect?

Sorce
I think Bunsan does something like that. He makes a set of shohin pots same shape but different glazes.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I think Bunsan does something like that. He makes a set of shohin pots same shape but different glazes.
Or a set of the same glaze, different shapes

And when putting a display together, you would choose one of those pots.

Variety, also means using pots from a variety of makers! You might have one antique Chinese pot, one contemporary maker, several in between, etc.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Is there a dimensional standard for the box stands? Like is is x by y and z deep, with the height offset is always 10 cm?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Is there a dimensional standard for the box stands? Like is is x by y and z deep, with the height offset is always 10 cm?
They vary. Usually, the largest are 70cm tall. Get a Kinbon magazine, and you’ll see advertisements offering them for sale. So, you can get one that’s 70, or 60, or 65cm.

Top Bottom