Some pinus contorta, I think?

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hi my friends grandmother has this little guy planted in her back yard, I am thinking it is pinus contorta ie lodgepole pine. I've just recently started trying to identify the pines in my area and hadn't seen one this small and old.

Attachments

• DSC_0031.JPG
    DSC_0031.JPG
    370.6 KB · Views: 81
  • DSC_0035.JPG
    DSC_0035.JPG
    453.2 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC_0036.JPG
    DSC_0036.JPG
    308 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0034.JPG
    DSC_0034.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 75

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Spring dig?

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Just nab it during a nap!

Lol...

Seriously though....

Nab it during a nap!

Sorce

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Hahaha, your on this eh? I'll post some pics of the ones I will for sure be digging if I can get them uploaded quicker, keeps crashing

Attachments

• DSC_0078.JPG
    DSC_0078.JPG
    507 KB · Views: 72
  • DSC_0080.JPG
    DSC_0080.JPG
    419 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_0079.JPG
    DSC_0079.JPG
    495.1 KB · Views: 70

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
The other is harder to see

Attachments

• DSC_0070.JPG
    DSC_0070.JPG
    603.2 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_0075.JPG
    DSC_0075.JPG
    564.6 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0074.JPG
    DSC_0074.JPG
    466.9 KB · Views: 66
  • DSC_0060.JPG
    DSC_0060.JPG
    243.5 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC_0071.JPG
    DSC_0071.JPG
    600.9 KB · Views: 63

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Looks like Lodgepole. Good luck....do you plan to dig them up this fall or next spring?
G

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
Probably the spring, I haven't dug anything in the fall. I do plan on finding a lodgepole to dig in the fall to see if that works. I might go out and dig a trench around them though.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
These trees are worth collecting. If you can, ask your Grandmother, but little old ladies can be protective of piles of news papers. The tree is after all her's and she is very much aware of how much she has already lost, she may look at it as just something else someone wants to take from her. I have been down this road. You might be best in asking your bothers and sisters, or those who would be heirs at her passing if you can get the trees. If she is not out looking around in the yard she is most likely not going to miss them.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Isn't it horrible how people act toward loved ones when the end is near?
I don't know whether that was a criticism or just an observation.

Sometimes; when dealing with a loved one who has become advanced in age, when the best thing you can do for them is try to keep them where they want to be----home. Sometimes that means you keep them in their clutter of years of crap just because that's what they want. However in doing so you have to know what is going on with them and you have to have the courage to realize, if their minds are going, they are not going to get better.

You keep them at home as long as you can until it is no longer safe without constant supervision. After going through this with my mother three years ago and my wife's mother two years ago I do know what I am talking about. Take it from me. If you love your loved one/ loved ones the last thing you want to do is put them in a nursing home where, no matter how caring they convince you they are, they really don't look on their clients as anything but the necessary element that brings them money.

The first thing they do after convincing you that therapy is not working so well, is to start sedating them so they will not give them any unnecessary trials and tribulations. A passive client is a good client. An independent client is a pain in the ass.

You want to talk about neglect and abuse by family members look here. This is the worst thing you can do to someone you love, is to throw them into a nursing home. They will be dead inside of two years. Here is how it works. Mom falls and injures a leg, no break just a bad strain but the Doctor says she needs to go into therapy and then a "Convalescent Center" the other side of the Nursing Home. The CC is supposed to put her (Mom) through therapy that is very difficult for someone 90 years old. After a couple of weeks they start slacking off on the therapy but they keep taking the money from the insurance company. As the insurance runs out you will find that Mom is not getting any better and the long story short, she winds up going to the nursing home.

So-----Unless you have been through this it is really best you understand what is really going on. If you have family getting to this point in their age cycle it is important that you know what is going to happen. If you want to keep them home (good for you) it is vital to understand how your loved one thinks and how protective they are going to get about their stuff.

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Out of necessity I have to add to the above post. There is an entire industry around this kind of stuff. Your loved one has rights that cannot be infringed without the courts declaring them Non-compesmentos, unable to care for them selves and unable to understand what is going in around then blah blah blah. So you are left with spending a lot of time managing your mother/father's affairs while suspending your own, and in the case of my situation, trying to manage this long distance; 640 miles one way. When your loved one refuses to move in with you or one of your siblings, you cannot force them to do so unless you are appointed care taker because your loved one is non-compesmentos. Do you want you mother or father to have as one of their last memories you taking them to court and putting them in the situation or having to prove a negative?

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Man...I just come here to get salco's name for a funny...and all this? It sucks...

Sorceress recently began working as a care giver at a home....
The stories she tells me about how the other girls treat people is Fucking wrong.

They all love her! I am too proud!

Sorce

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Probably the spring, I haven't dug anything in the fall. I do plan on finding a lodgepole to dig in the fall to see if that works. I might go out and dig a trench around them though.
Here on the coast we collect our trees in late summer, early fall with a high survival rate......if you haven't collected from the wild before you could do some preparation one year and then collect it the next. The tree in the yard should be easier however you might be surprised at how far the roots travel and it may have a large root ball.
G.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't know whether that was a criticism or just an observation
It was an observation Vance. When my hand mother died relatives I had never seen showed up. Wanting this or tat. Saying they were entitled to things.
I sent them all back to where they came from. Empty handed. Haven't heard from them since and don't care.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
It was an observation Vance. When my hand mother died relatives I had never seen showed up. Wanting this or tat. Saying they were entitled to things.
I sent them all back to where they came from. Empty handed. Haven't heard from them since and don't care.
Good for you. It is a hard thing when you love someone and are by circumstances forced to make hard decisions your loved one is guaranteed to not like. Then other family members start questioning your decisions, like they were there all the time ---- and they wern't, but they can sure criticize you for brreathing air.

Salcomine

Yamadori
Reaction score
That foliage is just beautiful!

Add bark, trunk, decent branches....

Hell yeah!

Sorce

The foliage of the tree or the bush? There aren't too many needles left on this guy.

These trees are worth collecting. If you can, ask your Grandmother, but little old ladies can be protective of piles of news papers. The tree is after all her's and she is very much aware of how much she has already lost, she may look at it as just something else someone wants to take from her. I have been down this road. You might be best in asking your bothers and sisters, or those who would be heirs at her passing if you can get the trees. If she is not out looking around in the yard she is most likely not going to miss them.

I don't have much desire to collect the first tree in my friends grandmothers yard. Beyond the initial awe of it I am no where near confident that I could guarantee its survival. I will tend to it a bit, removing weeds, dead needles and branches when I do some gardening for her.

Here on the coast we collect our trees in late summer, early fall with a high survival rate......if you haven't collected from the wild before you could do some preparation one year and then collect it the next. The tree in the yard should be easier however you might be surprised at how far the roots travel and it may have a large root ball.
G.

Our winters in the interior are quite dry and cold. Last year there was lots of freeze thaw cycles so the snow pack was way down. Above zero by day then -15 to -20. Usually a few weeks of -30. I'm going to try digging up a younger pine this fall to see if there is enough growing season.

ghues

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The foliage of the tree or the bush? There aren't too many needles left on this guy.

I don't have much desire to collect the first tree in my friends grandmothers yard. Beyond the initial awe of it I am no where near confident that I could guarantee its survival. I will tend to it a bit, removing weeds, dead needles and branches when I do some gardening for her.

Our winters in the interior are quite dry and cold. Last year there was lots of freeze thaw cycles so the snow pack was way down. Above zero by day then -15 to -20. Usually a few weeks of -30. I'm going to try digging up a younger pine this fall to see if there is enough growing season.

As I said try late summer (late August after some rain) as your winters come early. Start digging farther away (than you think)from the trunk and take a large root ball.....wrap the entire root ball with say some shrink wrap and make sure you have bonsai soil and pot or grow box ready for when you get it home.
G

Top Bottom