Some pots

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Fun shapes, I love them. I seldom put "serious" trees in them, but very few of my trees are serious. I tend to use them for tropicals and odd stuff in early phases of training. There are a few euphorbia that would be great in the star pot, like E medusea. Like your pots

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Some words of caution if you're looking to eventually sell stuff. Complicated shapes like this make repotting a pain in the ass. I'd also think the shape would be vulnerable to freezing. Additionally all those star tips have no drainage, and amount to "dead spots" that will probably remain soggy when this is occupied by a tree. Those dead spots will inhibit, or even kill, new roots. Since the only drain holes in the container are in the center, the dead drainage areas are considerable, although the sag towards the middle will actually aid drainage to those holes--I know you planned it that way ;-)

Additionally, while the shape is fun, it's too "busy" for actual use with a tree.
I am selling stuff. I'm actually following my mentors advice and hoping to become a full time ceramics artist and eventually not need a part time job anymore. Most of my work is wheel thrown and not for bonsai. That's the only pot I've done like that. I know it'll probably never fit a tree but it is fun. I had started a bowl with that shape and wasn't paying attention and screwed it up. I just really wanted to do something shaped similarly after that.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Mmm, this last one is very nice. You're doing well! This must be the one you compared to a namako, right?
The last one is more metallic than the photo shows. The glaze that's over the red forms a namako type glaze I was thinking.
Screenshot_20181218-155002.png

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, I see. No I was looking at the last blue one in the 1st post. I've not seen red namako, but perhaps it's more of a technique than a color thing.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ah, I see. No I was looking at the last blue one in the 1st post. I've not seen red namako, but perhaps it's more of a technique than a color thing.
It's not the red it's the darker area I zoomed in to. Where another glaze is over the red you see. Those two glazes together form what you know as namako. It seems to me what the Japanese call namako is not based on a specific color but the pattern the glaze forms. The pattern also known as hare's fur. You can see it in the two red pots in the darker areas, the glaze runs near the bottom of the flower pot, and areas on these two jars. For comparison and an example of the pattern here's a namako eimei pot.
20181219_080251.jpg
jar1 copy.jpg
jar2 copy.jpg

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The texture/pattern in the glaze of that sample blue and white pot is pretty damn stellar.

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I just thought I'd share that for those interested in following my journey in pottery I have started sharing things I do on Instagram as willsteinhoff. :)

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Pottery is great huh? I've been having a blast with it. I tallied up 96 piecee for my next firing. Comeonnnn 2019
Yes. Of all the hobbies I've had and things I've done there's nothing I've loved doing more than throwing pots. I've met some of the best people I've known because of it as well. I've been putting all my time into making pots and helping out at a community studio where we are all volunteers helping people in need by doing pottery. It's pretty great.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice. Now I think you should start to branch out and experiment with real feet. The notched rim type foot that you have on your current pots are ok, but for me the feet can make the pot so much more!

wsteinhoff

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Nice. Now I think you should start to branch out and experiment with real feet. The notched rim type foot that you have on your current pots are ok, but for me the feet can make the pot so much more!
I know. That just takes more time. Although wanting to make my own bonsai pots is what got me started doing pottery and I like making them I don't do many of them and they aren't what I really enjoy doing most.

P.S. I've launched a website yesterday. Etsy didn't go so well. Already made a couple sales. Theres no bonsai pots yet but eventually. https://www.littlesilopottery.com/#/

Top Bottom