Some pots?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
I have a pot much like your red one. It has a chop on the botom, but is too small and faint photograph. Scrawled inside by a dealer somewhere was "old Jap pot."

I also have this mame pot from Japan, but from an unknown maker with a very unusual chop. I've already asked Peter Krebs if he know anyone else who uses a crab for a chop, but he did not.

It also isn't found on any of the amazing pot chop pages here: http://bonsaipotplaza.com/

Your pots are all lovely. I really like that first blue one -- and I normally don't care for "blue pots." Maybe you can find some of your unknowns on the pages in that like up above. oops. I see you already know that page.

Attachments

• red 1.jpg
    red 1.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 33
  • red 2.jpg
    red 2.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 39
  • crab pot.jpg
    crab pot.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Jim,
New England Bonsai Gardens found a small batch of these pots - all mame and all unglazed - from a person in California. I bought a couple but have no idea who the maker is either. This looks different than your pot signature.
John

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 43

Bill S

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Al I suppose you know that the cream of tartar is good for polishing porcelaine. So I have read anyway, haven't tried it yet though. anyone know what it used for in the spice department???

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hi Jim,
New England Bonsai Gardens found a small batch of these pots - all mame and all unglazed - from a person in California. I bought a couple but have no idea who the maker is either. This looks different than your pot signature.
John

Yeah it is different, but it is close enough that (what?????)

Thanks, John.

Jackie won this pot in a raffle several years ago at a BCI or ABS meeting in New Orleans. She was told who made it -- he was Japanese, from Japan -- but alas, she lost the name. It is one of my favorite little pots.

I have a vastly overpotted little Christmas Cheer azalea in it now, for lack of anything better.

Attachments

• mame in crab pot.jpg
    mame in crab pot.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 32

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Al I suppose you know that the cream of tartar is good for polishing porcelaine. So I have read anyway, haven't tried it yet though. anyone know what it used for in the spice department???

Cream of tartar is used to give more volume to beaten egg whites. It is in some brands of baking powder, and gives a creamier texture in sugary desserts and frosting.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
John, your Pot with the crab on the bottom is Sekisen. I have one as well, and I found the Hanko and potters name when one went up for sale in Japan online a while back, as a group of different pots.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
And JKL, you can find that chop on the Hanko/plaza site, in the unknown section. I have the potters name somewhere in my files, still looking for it.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Smoke,

I may have found a lead on that porcelain pot. I just bought a couple more from Johnny Uchida last week. So the unknown maker has been on my mind. I have also been doing some shopping on ebay and I noticed this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/7L3-Vintage-Jap...3603563?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item19c4a92beb

I have already sent a message to the seller in Japan. Although, by looking at the other items he has for sale it doesn't look like he knows too much abou bonsai pots. It does say "seto ware". So, at least we know where it comes from.

Rich

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow, thanks for that. My pot is no. 64, I wonder if that is a number of pots made. That would make mine a little older!

I bought about two hundred dollars worth about 8 years ago. Mostly small pots from Japan. Mostly handmade.

Edit: Johnny Uchida that is......

Last edited:

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
two of mine say 22. one doesn't have a number (I think). And the fourth I can't remmebr off the top of my head. I'll keep you posted if I get a reply from the seller.

Rich

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Those porcelain pots with the numbers and and two character Hanko(the one where the top character looks like Pi) come from "Banko"(the kiln not the region) in Seto. the handmade ones have a different Hanko that can be found on the Potsplaza site. Same maker though.
I have a few that were brought back by a military serving in Japan over 40 years ago, they sat in his attic for this entire time, and came still wrapped in Japanese newspaper from the early 70s.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Thanks Gastronome.

The ebay seller confirmed that the pot is from the Banko kiln.

Rich

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks for all the clarification. This Banko chap makes one hell of a glazed pot!

Bravo!

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
So inspired by this thread, I bought a couple of pots pretty cheaply. What do you guys think?

Seto ware [L 3.1" x W 3.1" x H 2.1"] approx 40 years old:

Attachments

• Seto1.jpg
    Seto1.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 21
  • Seto2.jpg
    Seto2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 17
  • Seto3.jpg
    Seto3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 20

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Banko ware made in Mie prefecture about 40 years ago:

L 3.2" x W 3.2" x H 1.8"

This one has a pretty nasty chip on the upper left foot but I figure I will just face that to the back.

Attachments

• Banko1.jpg
    Banko1.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 11
  • Banko2.jpg
    Banko2.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 9
  • Banko3.jpg
    Banko3.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 10
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Banko ware is different from Banko-the kiln. Banko ware comea from a region, while pottery from the Banko kiln is actualy Seto-ware.

Top Bottom