Some pots?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In the recent Tofukugi thread I talked about some of the more obscure pots I have. Some of them I know who the potter is and some of them I don't. If someone can tell me if they have seen these chops I would be most happy.

Some of the pots I know the potter and I will post that name when I know it. I collected these for the design or color more than who made them. These are all shohin pots. Is there any other size?

First is a shallow yellow pot.
6"x4"x.75"

BTW I use cream of tarter in the hanko's to help show them better. Sometimes it helps sometimes not.

Attachments

• 001a.JPG
    001a.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 120
  • 001b.JPG
    001b.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This porcelain pot is glazed with some very unique colors. The patina on this one is very special. Just looking at is one can see that it is old. The porcelain has soil stains from years of use and the glaze is smooth to the touch.

6.25"x4.25"x1.25"

Attachments

• 002a.JPG
    002a.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 121
  • 002b.JPG
    002b.JPG
    45.4 KB · Views: 85

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This literati pot is pretty old too. Again this pot has a real patina on it and is a good size for a kifu or larger shohin literati.The hanko is small and not very legible due to being stamped on the curved surface.
There is a possibility that this hanko reads Mizukami Kiyoshi, but I can't be sure.
6" x 1".

Attachments

• 003a.JPG
    003a.JPG
    47.4 KB · Views: 83
  • 003b.JPG
    003b.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 64

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This shallow grey glazed accent plant dish is very special. I have never seen any pots in a catalog like this. It would be very good with a moss ball or something like that. This dish is by Bizan.

5" x 1/2".

Attachments

• 004a.JPG
    004a.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 85
  • 004b.JPG
    004b.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 004c.JPG
    004c.JPG
    65.9 KB · Views: 49

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This tray is from the fourties or thirties. It was given to me by a freind of the family from Japan. It was brought here from Japan and the family can date it's entry here. It is a "cheri stone" pot and I have included the seal in the photo if it shows up. It is faint. I would like to know what the hanko says.

6"x3.5"x.75"

Attachments

• 005a.JPG
    005a.JPG
    48.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 005b.JPG
    005b.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 68

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my favorite pot. This pot was brought over from Japan by Bill Hashimoto and has a wonderful patina. The glaze is really subtle and almost looks unglazed. It is blueish green and very matte. The hand signed hanko says Mistunobu.

4.5" x 3" x .75"

Attachments

• 006a.JPG
    006a.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 102
  • 006b.JPG
    006b.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 57

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This unglazed pot has a unique shape with the cut legs. I think it looks rather Chinese in style but the hanko looks Japanese. It has a double hanko so I have no idea what it says.

6" x 4" x 1"
deep indented corners.

Attachments

• 007a.JPG
    007a.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 75
  • 007b.JPG
    007b.JPG
    53.1 KB · Views: 54

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have showed these two pots together because they are by the same artist. One is small and the other is larger.

first is very smooth clay body and 4" x 3" x 3/4"

the second is "pear skin mudd" and rough to the feel but smooth to the look. Very good detail while the first one is more crude in detail. Strange these tiny pots. Both of these via Bill Hashimoto from Japan.

6.5" x 5" x 1.25"

Attachments

• 008a.JPG
    008a.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 008b.JPG
    008b.JPG
    71.2 KB · Views: 32
  • 009a.JPG
    009a.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 009b.JPG
    009b.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This extreamly shallow oval came from George Yamaguchi in Southern California when he was still alive. I purchased it from him about 23 years ago. There is no signature and he told me that this was a pot that was sold along the road in the bonsai villages.

Who knows. I planted in this pot about 10 years ago but was afraid it would get broken and have since removed it from planting and it stays in the collection like the other 50 or so. The stones in the clay body in some places are up to 1/8 inch across.

7" x 5" x 1/2"

Attachments

• 010a.JPG
    010a.JPG
    55.6 KB · Views: 67
  • 010b.JPG
    010b.JPG
    60 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ok...This one is tricky. If Mas or Gary Ishii reads this forum my secret is out.

I would go to Chikugu En nursery each year when the convention was in town or if I went to LA for any reason. They have a glass case in the lobby with about 2 inches of dust on it and filled with small shohin pots. I have asked Gary about the pots before and have always recieved the same answer. the pots belong to my dad and he never sells them. I have had my eye on a small oatmeal oval for many years but never got to hold it, just look at it with its covering of dust.

4 years ago during a convention, I went down early to help set up trees for the display. I finished early and decided to hop on over to the nursery. Mas and Gary were busy at the convention setting up in the vendor room. I got to the nursery and made a bee line to the glass case and asked Mas' wife if I could buy the pot. She looked in the case and it still had a hand written string tag on it, probably from the Ueno green club in Japan, written in kangi. 3,500 Yen. She did some quick math, (move the decimal point) and said $35.00. Fastest my wallet ever came out of my pocket.

If you read this Gary or Mas...sorry, but I gave it a good home.

A Yamaaki with a small kaede maple in it.

4"x 2.5" x 1/2" Tree is 4 inches tall with two inch trunk.

Attachments

• 011a.JPG
    011a.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 129
  • 011b.JPG
    011b.JPG
    97.3 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This little oval with purple and celedon glaze is from Johnny Uchida and part of a box of pot I bought. It cantains a small broom zelcova right now.

This is probably one of two of my most valuable pots. This is from Machinao Imaoka.

4" x 2" x 1/2"

Attachments

• 012a.JPG
    012a.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 97
  • 012b.JPG
    012b.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 74
  • 012c.JPG
    012c.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 84

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This pot is really nice. The cream glaze has collected on the bottom of the pot and adds a yellow touch to the pot. The pot contains a hornbeam 6 inches tall with a 2.25 trunk. The photo shows the tree rather pointy but in real life it is much flatter. I have no idea why it looks this way.

The pot is by Youzan
4.5" x 3" x 1.75"

I have many more but need to do another photo shoot. Will add to this next week. Thanks for looking. Al

Attachments

• 013a.JPG
    013a.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 77
  • 013b.JPG
    013b.JPG
    64.9 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Hey Al.

I picked up two pots from the same maker as your second post. The porcelain one. I have not been able to identify the maker either. I know what you talking about with the glaze.

By the way...Through some japanese google searching, I have verified (with the help of my wife) that the small brown Tofukuji pot is more than likely authentic. There are a few similar ones on japanese bonsai store websites.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Al.

I picked up two pots from the same maker as your second post. The porcelain one. I have not been able to identify the maker either. I know what you talking about with the glaze.

By the way...Through some japanese google searching, I have verified (with the help of my wife) that the small brown Tofukuji pot is more than likely authentic. There are a few similar ones on japanese bonsai store websites.

Thanks, keep looking and help me out. I would really like to know some history on the potter.

I have over thirty pages of history on scroll painters, I wish I had as much on potters from Japan.

rich415

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well...our hunt has been fruitless. My wife can barely read the chop marks because of the way that they write. If I find anything I'll post it.

Good Luck

Thos are some beautiful pots by the way.

Rich

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I knew you left coasters were pretty open about this sort of stuff, but it still catches me off guard sometimes.

err...sorry....

I meant to say "bag"... sorry, bag of pot.....:eek::eek::eek::eek:

irene_b

Omono
Reaction score
Each pot is fantastic Al....I am in love with that purple one!!!

Reaction score
This is a pot I purchased recently that Hitoshi brought back from Japan. It has a flaw in the bottom of the pot (the clay has a cut 'slit' that goes through to the bottom). The potter whimsically painted a dragon on the inside of the pot along the crack. The dragons tail extends out the bottom drain hole and the flame from his mouth extends out the crack on the outside. Very cool. It also has a glaze reminiscent of Tofukuji's style.
I am also trying to learn who made this pot. If anyone can read the chop? I can give a closeup of it if needed.
John

Attachments

• DSC_0081.jpg
    DSC_0081.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 87
  • DSC_0084.jpg
    DSC_0084.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC_0082.jpg
    DSC_0082.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 89
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Imaoka

Smoke, the Imaoka pot in the above thread is actually Marufuji. I have several with that stamp, from Seto.

Top Bottom