Some Previews

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Was sorting through some material that will be posted to the site this spring. I thought to help with some of the winter time doldrums. I would post a few here to give a sneak peak. I will post more later as I pick candidates for the site.

First image is a Wisteria with a 13 inch base. The second and third are both Bougainvilleas. the bases on these are 5 and 11 inches respectively. The fourth is a ponderosa and fifth is a yew with a 20 inch base.
Hope this little offering helps pass the time during these cold and windy days.

Attachments

• jsw_100_0345.jpg
    jsw_100_0345.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 61
  • jsw_100_0299.jpg
    jsw_100_0299.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 46
  • jsw_100_0298.jpg
    jsw_100_0298.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 44
  • jsw_100_0410.jpg
    jsw_100_0410.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 66
  • jsw_p1060294a.jpg
    jsw_p1060294a.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 75

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Good looking material there Tom. Thanks for sharing!

Jason

Reaction score
USDA Zone
When I'm Calling Yeww-ew-ewew-ewwwwww,......

Wish I could put musical notes in here...But the point is that I think if you look closely at the yew, you will find my name on it. It calls to me.

Attila Soos

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The wisteria has a gorgeous base and lower trunk. It should make a spectacular bonsai, just needs the perfect pot and make the movement to the left more accentuated by removing the branches pointing to the right. Great material for the slanting style.

Last edited:

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi Tom. Nice stock. About the bougies, where did you get them and do you do anything special to get them through the Pa. winters?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hi Tom. Nice stock. About the bougies, where did you get them and do you do anything special to get them through the Pa. winters?

Hey Bob, I got these bougies from a nursery down in Sarasota. My wife and I went on a nursery crawl of some local business to kill some time. These two were originally about 13 feet tall and almost as wide. So we asked the owner of the nursery for some loppers and reduced them both to stumps. He looked at us like we had just killed the pope. We explained that it was easier to take them back on the plane that way. We payed and walked out the door snickering. The poor guy was still standing there with a dumb founded look as we departed. Would have loved to hear the stories he told about to whacko customers he had that day.

Care for bougies here in PA consists of outdoor life from May through the middle of October. In the winter months they take up residence in the green house with all the other Trops. At 70 degrees in the greenhouse these will put on growth quickly. At temps between 50 and 70 the growth rate slows a bit respectively with in that range. Last year when we moved to our new digs in winter. The bougies made it through temps that fell into the mid forties at nights and 60s during the day. This type of exposure lasted well over a month. We had problems getting the green house up and I thought that would be the end of them. I was proved wrong, They appear to be more resilient than we give them credit for. So care giving is nothing special, you could even consider them abused by conventional care giving methods. :)

Last edited:

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thanks Tom. I have some tropicals but no bougies... yet. When I do get one it will probably be the same way that you got yours. I should have known that you had a greenhouse! I'd have to over winter in my house. Having no elaborate set up, the tropicals that I do have just basically make it through the winter sitting in my south facing window.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Attila thanks for the comments and thanks for giving me an idea.

In an effort to beat back the winter time blues I was thinking of a little contest. Attila mentioned the wisteria would one day make a really nice bonsai with a correct pot and some branch removal to the right of the trunk. Well the later of the two has been done already so all it needs is a pot more or less.

I think a little friendly contest of the right pot match for the wisteria would be fun. Kind of like Bnut's version certre contest.:) The idea being the best match of this tree to the pot, your even encouraged to virt in new branch structure or what have you if you chose.

The winner of our fun little contest will receive a hand built Erin pot courtesy of Shady Side. The understanding being that you can pick it up or pay for the postage ;)

I will post in a new thread, in a day or two, a new picture of the wisteria with a neutral background. Along with another of it in bloom. I will also post a picture of the prize pot with with the judging details. Please remember this is a friendly contest. This is all done for the fun of it, please keep it that way.

Last edited:

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Attila thanks for the comments and thanks for giving me an idea.
I think a little friendly contest of the right pot match for the wisteria would be fun. Kind of like Bnut's version certre contest.:) The idea being the best match of this tree to the pot, your even encouraged to virt in new branch structure or what have you if you chose.

Sure Tom, keep us folks with little to no virt skills out in the cold!!! LOL

Jason

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sure Tom, keep us folks with little to no virt skills out in the cold!!! LOL

Mmmmmm...how you at making collages Jason :)

Rick Moquin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I think it is fair, heck I got no yamadori in my neck of the woods, do you see me complaining;)

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Hey Bob, I got these bougies from a nursery down in Sarasota.

Sarasota? As in Sarasota Florida? Gee wiz Tom, you are in my area and you don't even let me know? Sheesh...

I suppose it could have been years ago but...

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Sarasota? As in Sarasota Florida?
The one and only Graydon...The family has a place out on Lido Key. I try and get down as often as possible. So perhaps one day when I'm down you can introduce me to that fine pine collection of yours.

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Right. Or I could come over to Lido and get my feet wet. You buy the beer and I'll bring a couple of pines to hack. What could be better?

Um... snook and red fishing if in season. Perhaps tarpon as well?

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
You buy the beer and I'll bring a couple of pines to hack. What could be better?... snook and red fishing if in season. Perhaps tarpon as well?

I'm suddenly feeling a need for a vacation

Top Bottom