Some questions regarding a tropical indoor and light.

Denneke

Seed
Reaction score
Well I just started reading about Bonsai, always got my attention.

I want to start with a tropical indoor plant, I read the Ficus is fairly easy to maintain inside for a beginner.

What are things i need to care for? I was thinking to place it next to my television, which is a meter from a outside (garden) door. This door is not very often open (We have a door in the kitchen which me most often use to enter the garden). Next to the door is a window with a wide sill. However, there is a central heater below. So not an option I guess? Especially in the winter it is on for a few hours a day.

Is it an option to place it next to the tv? The door isnt open that much, however it isnt air tight offcourse so what about the air draft?

I was also thinking of giving it some extra light because i can not place it against a window. I have a small table lamp next to the tv. Can i place a led grow bulb in this one which will do the trick? My girlfriend doesnt want me to make all kinds of constructions for light etc. ;) The light will come from the side, rather from the top and might be indirect because of the lamp hood/cover. Wont the tree grow towards the light? Turning it around every month will help right? At night my central heater goes to 15 degrees celcius, so most often it will not be very colder than this.

I have added a photo to support my text. I want to place it where the two small plants are right now. Sorry English is not my native language. ;)

Which tree do you guys advice?

If i really like this I would like to start with outside bonsai also next spring.

Attachments

• kamer.jpg
    kamer.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Well I just started reading about Bonsai, always got my attention.

I want to start with a tropical indoor plant, I read the Ficus is fairly easy to maintain inside for a beginner.

What are things i need to care for? I was thinking to place it next to my television, which is a meter from a outside (garden) door. This door is not very often open (We have a door in the kitchen which me most often use to enter the garden). Next to the door is a window with a wide sill. However, there is a central heater below. So not an option I guess? Especially in the winter it is on for a few hours a day.

Is it an option to place it next to the tv? The door isnt open that much, however it isnt air tight offcourse so what about the air draft?

I was also thinking of giving it some extra light because i can not place it against a window. I have a small table lamp next to the tv. Can i place a led grow bulb in this one which will do the trick? My girlfriend doesnt want me to make all kinds of constructions for light etc. ;) The light will come from the side, rather from the top and might be indirect because of the lamp hood/cover. Wont the tree grow towards the light? Turning it around every month will help right? At night my central heater goes to 15 degrees celcius, so most often it will not be very colder than this.

I have added a photo to support my text. I want to place it where the two small plants are right now. Sorry English is not my native language. ;)

Which tree do you guys advice?

If i really like this I would like to start with outside bonsai also next spring.

I think you are on the right track with a ficus. Good luck!

Denneke

Seed
Reaction score
I think you are on the right track with a ficus. Good luck!

Thank you! And what about a Carmona (Fukien Tea). Which one is harder? I really like the white flowering of the Fukien Tea.

What do you say about the light bulb? Worth the while? Or should I start without? What difference does a bulb make in my setup (table lamp).

Thx!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
The mean temperature in Eelde, Netherlands is a little cool at 8.6 degrees Celsius (47.5 degrees Fahrenheit).
Mean monthly temperatures have a range of 14.7 °C (26.5°F) which is a low range.
There is a range/ variation of daily average temperatures of 8.1 °C (14.5 °F).
August is the hottest month (very mild) with an average temperature of 16 degrees Celsius (60.8 degrees Fahrenheit).
January is the coldest month (very cool) having a mean temperature of 1.3 degrees Celsius (34.34 degrees Fahrenheit).

I don't know your temperature so I googled the temps in Netherlands. Which I posted above...
Now, I don't know much about the bonsai in question...but for a tropical plant having a door opened occasionally and a draft of the cooler temps mentioned blow across them. Could be an issue for success of a tropical tree. At least in the tropical ones I own...would not fare well with an occasional draft of a door was opened letting in such cooler temps. I would temporarily block the door to the garden off. To prevent it from opening...or find another location away from a possible draft.

Wishing you success!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I find ficus to be far less picky than any other "indoor" bonsai. Of course in the summer you can move it outside, and it will be happier for it. I think you will do just fine with it and a grow light. I wouldn't worry too much about drafts from the door unless you prop it open for long periods. I would avoid the fukien tea and serrissas they can be harder to do in temperate climates.
I like willow leaf ficus the best. Learning to water properly is the hardest bonsai trick for newcomers, once you get your plant put a wooden skewer in the soil checking it daily for moisture. Once it seems to be drying out, water the plant well.

Denneke

Seed
Reaction score
Thx for all the replies! Yeah I want to start with this one to learn the ins and outs, experience the art of Bonsai and figure out if this is really what I like.

Regarding the light.. is it necessary? What will the difference be? Can you tell anything about the bulb in an ordinary table lamp? Especially this last aspect is important (See first post). It must be aesthetic. ;)

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I keep mine in a window that receives natural light in winter, and have a regular shop florescent fixture above the trees. Of course that won't work for you, there may be some nice looking led fixtures that might work. I would google that up.

Paul G

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you! And what about a Carmona (Fukien Tea). Which one is harder? I really like the white flowering of the Fukien Tea.

What do you say about the light bulb? Worth the while? Or should I start without? What difference does a bulb make in my setup (table lamp).

Thx!

I'm still fairly new and wouldn't want to steer you wrong, but my ficus is by far the most tolerant and forgiving of my trees. Regarding the Fukien Tea, I was going to get one, but a friend steered me away, claiming they are very prone to insect infestations and would be a better choice for once I'd honed my skills. As far as a bulb setup, I'll leave that to the more experienced posters on this forum. My ficus sits in a west-facing window and is quite happy there. Also, people on this forum will tell you that all things being equal, you should buy the best tree you can, rather than trying to nurture something you got as a good bargain. I'd like to echo that as you move on to your next trees...because you won't stop at one;)

gregkthompson

Seedling
Reaction score
I find that the Chinese Elm is a pretty hardy one! I'm pretty new to this whole thing, but the are easy to take car of don't require to much light except what it gets close to a window! Good luck!

Top Bottom