some sort of willow?

DannyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Hi all, We have a pond on our farm that my dad cut the vegetation away from last month. I noticed last night that there is a tree there that he had cut back, it is about 18" tall, and a 3" diameter trunk. I think it is a willow, but not sure. If I can find my camera, I will take some pics, but it is fast growing, has bark like a willow, but the leaves look almost like a non-serrated Japanese maple. If I can get pics, I would like to hear your thoughs as to what it is, and styling/care options. I was thinking root-over-rock informal upright, but all tips are appreciated. I will try to get pics ASAP.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
I was thinking root-over-rock informal upright, but all tips are appreciated. I will try to get pics ASAP.

Most believable "root over rock" trees are started as seedlings that have their very flexible, fine rootage placed over a suitable rock, wrapped to keep the roots against the rock, and allowed to grow freely until the roots have grasped the rock. It's unlikely the roots on your tree will be small enough/flexible enough to do a good root over rock design...

DannyBonsai

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
if it is a willow, then it should be flexible, and it would probably be only a partial root-over-rock if anything.

Top Bottom