Some stones

Reaction score
Lately I've been quite busy with my suiseki collection again and with the arrivals of some very nice display items from Japan I decided to take some pics.

The first is a dry waterfall stone from Hunsrück, Germany which I found two or 3 years ago in a winter creek running through the woods down the side of a hill/small mountain/rock outcrop. I made the daiza myself, the table got bamboo inlay and was imported from Japan only a couple of weeks ago.
Double dry waterfall stone 2.png Double dry waterfall stone 1.png
The table is a little big for this stone, so maybe I'll switch it for another one. The daiza is made from Yellow Poplar wood and stained with something I lost the jar of, so no idea what it is lol. I don't have the stuff they use to stain the wood that deep brown colour, so I just used this. I think the colour of the daiza fits the colour of the stone very well and since the jar is lost the stain will remain this way. This daiza was one of the first I finished, maybe the fourth or the fifth and the second daiza for this stone. The first daiza for this stone is hideous, but it should be somewhere in the pile. There won't be any pics of that :D

There is some very small white quartz bits in the stone, so it looks like either the last snow is melting or the first snow has fallen in the autumn.

I wanted to apply these stones all for the 20th Trophy in Genk in 2019, but I missed the deadline... Now to wait for the next exhibition.

Trophy display 2.png
Not sure about this display, and the Trophy rules say there's got to be a live item i.e. a moss or mini tree or whatever in the display so this one will be reconsidered for an exhibition.
There was a cascade table with a moss accent and a bronze deer in the place of the snow stone at first, that will probably be put back for a serious display.
The slab is slate, also from the Hunsrück area in Germany. I love that area, we used to go there on holidays a lot. The small wooded slab is actually handpainted MDF.

This dark grey mountain stone with waterfalls was found in one of the river Maas' sandy beaches in the summer of 2017. I made this daiza too, also out of yellow poplar, but this stain is mahogany and needs another layer. Or maybe a couple of another layers. At least this jar is located :)

Double waterfall mountain stone 1.png

Mame snow stone 2.png
I found this stone in Norrköping, Sweden in the summer of 2014 in a greenhouse on the strawberry farm I worked on that summer. It has long been in a basket with tons of other no-idea-what-to-do-with-stones until about a year ago. The pattern is very interesting and there's even a little pyrite in it on the left.
This daiza is made out of the same stuff as the other two, stained with two coats of mahogany stain. I like how the colour of the wood draws peachy tones out of the stone.

I got a couple more stones in daizas already, some with daizas in progress and tons with nothing yet. I will update this thread in time when there's more photographed and/or finished. Making displays is actually a thing I really enjoy to do and with some display items like tables, figurines and other fun items it really is a blast. Expect more! :D

Top Bottom