Some trees to Discuss

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Editing out the argument :) Move on, nothing to see here....

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The people arguing about the argument have themselves been out-argued :) Nothing of real substance in these arguments, just people venting so I am going to edit it out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
May I post a few words from some of my teachers also?

"Change starts at home."

"Lead by example."

"Let those without sin cast the first stone."

"Be the change you are seeking."

"Look to the source and you will find the cause."

Now can we get back to the topic, which are these wonderful collected trees Jason posted?

Fantastic material, so when are you shipping them Jason? ;) What mix are you using for your collected stock, just out of curiosity.

Will

Last edited:

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Think kind thoughts :) Editing out the negativity :)

BTW I've a vet too... grats. I hope you at least got a decent vet home mortgage out of your service :)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Avast ye swabs! Chris is going overboard! Keelhaul him! (Editing out the argument)

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason,

The more I look at the Sierra Juniper, the more I like it. The first Lodgepole Pine is promising as well.

Jason, do you have other angles handy of this beauty? How was the root masses on these when collecting, what soil type were the growing in, were they on rock?

Will

Last edited:

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Jason,

The more I look at the Sierra Juniper, the more I like it.

Having seen the juniper in person, I have to say it is an exceptional tree. Great thick, twisted trunk on a tree that isn't much more that 12 inches high.

The only "flaw" is that it is much too small to have a place in Jason's collection. He really should find someone with smaller trees where it would stand out :).

-Darrell

Taylor Brown

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Wow Mr. Jason NICES TREES Don't let Dad trick you he would kill for any one of those. I asked to come to oregon bonsai for my birthday. I told Dad that its time for some real material

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Now can we get back to the topic, which are these wonderful collected trees Jason posted?

Fantastic material, so when are you shipping them Jason? ;) What mix are you using for your collected stock, just out of curiosity.

Will

LOL, Not sure when I ship these or how many I plan to keep for myself. Ofcourse the best ones will stay until I collect something better then I will cut loose with them.... But when I do sale these they will have been growing good before they leave.
Mix for all my collected trees is the Boon mix, 1/3 Akadama, 1/3 lava, 1/3 pumice. If it is going into a huge grow box like the monster RMJ in the post I will use either a mix of pumice lava barkdust or or straight pumice like the juniper is in. Straight pumice is great for growing roots.... In a pot I use Boons mix.....

Wow Mr. Jason NICES TREES Don't let Dad trick you he would kill for any one of those. I asked to come to oregon bonsai for my birthday. I told Dad that its time for some real material

If your pops will bring you out here I will give you a tree for your birthday! The bad part is you are developing a good eye at a young age so I will have to make sure its a good one, lol!! Thanks kiddo for the nice words.

Having seen the juniper in person, I have to say it is an exceptional tree. Great thick, twisted trunk on a tree that isn't much more that 12 inches high.

The only "flaw" is that it is much too small to have a place in Jason's collection. He really should find someone with smaller trees where it would stand out :).

-Darrell

Thanks Darrell, but one must have all size trees in thier collection right?? That tells me that you need a monster or 2 in your yard ;) HAHA!

Jay, I couldn't agree with your post anymore! It is a shame that the side show continues even despite the best efforts here.... oh well, I will stay focused on the trees and post some more in a few days when I can get some time.
So Jay, we need to keep on point here with trees and maybe some will follow suit and get more involved

Thanks, Jason

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Though this is the pine forum, I thought I would continue the discussion of one of the trees previously discussed. Jason had the opportunity to work on his monster RMJ, previously pictured in this thread. I am sure Jason will chime in and tell you more, but I will say this:

1) Jason did 99% of the work you see here. Walter made suggestions, Jason did the work. I did the other 1%, and got in the way more than anything.
2) The photos are not very good, as there are distractions in the background.
3) This is a first styling only.
4) I have seen my fair share of good stock, but I haven't had the opportunity to see much world class finished stock, other than the Weyerhaeuser exhibit (in person that is). But, with this tree I was absolutely blown away by the transformation and how powerful it became. It is beyond anything I have seen to date - and I have seen everything that has come out of Oregon Bonsai for the past few years...
5) Jason should be proud of what he has done with this tree!

http://walter-pall-travelogues.blogspot.com/

Reaction score
Wow that RMJ is alot larger than I thought it was. I am quite impressed.

I am a little disapointed, here I am less than 2 hours from Portland and what was I doing to miss this? Anyway to get more involved?

rlist

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Wow that RMJ is alot larger than I thought it was. I am quite impressed.

I am a little disapointed, here I am less than 2 hours from Portland and what was I doing to miss this? Anyway to get more involved?

PM me or Jason, and we will make sure you get in on the next set of workshops....

Other than that, I am surprised there are no comments on this juniper! Come on people, give Jason some props here...

darrellw

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Other than that, I am surprised there are no comments on this juniper! Come on people, give Jason some props here...

I think we are all either speechless or jealous. Having seen the tree in person during some of the work, it is indeed a one of a kind, world-class tree. Having first met Jason a little over a year ago, it is amazing how quickly he has developed as an artist, and how rapidly the quality of his collection is improving.

-Darrell

Dwight

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason,

Why don't you start a thread under the juniper heading so we can follow the progress of this tree ? Maybe add a few more photos for the torture effect.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Jason,

Why don't you start a thread under the juniper heading so we can follow the progress of this tree ? Maybe add a few more photos for the torture effect.

Hi Dwight,

That is my plan.... I need to wait for someone to come to the house so the wife and that person can hold a large sheet behind it so one can really see what is happening.
In the next few days I will post it.....

Thanks, Jason

Martin Sweeney

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Jason,

Insane tree!

Worthy of an article in a major bonsai magazine....

Looking forward to every bit of sharing you are able to provide!

Regards,

Martin

Reaction score
Hi Dwight,

That is my plan.... I need to wait for someone to come to the house so the wife and that person can hold a large sheet behind it so one can really see what is happening.
In the next few days I will post it.....

Thanks, Jason

Well the dalles is not to far from there, :)

I have found it helpful to make a photo area so that pictures can be taken easily just by moving the tree to that area. But I imagine that it would take a few people to move that buggar. Like you mentioned a sheet works well when stapled to plywood with 2x4 support.

JasonG

Chumono
Reaction score
Well the dalles is not to far from there, :)

I have found it helpful to make a photo area so that pictures can be taken easily just by moving the tree to that area. But I imagine that it would take a few people to move that buggar. Like you mentioned a sheet works well when stapled to plywood with 2x4 support.

I wish it was that easy!! The tree as it sits is coming in at about 300 lbs. Rich and I about killed ourselves moving it. The owner of Oregon Bonsai, Randy Knight packed this out of the mts by himself, he is an animal!!!!

A new post regardingg this tree will come in a few days....

Thanks, Jason

Top Bottom