Some trident seedling

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
IMG_2028.JPG IMG_2029.JPG
This has been a busy weekend for me trees in pots and in the ground are waking up and they all need work. This is one of several seedlings I planted out 3-4 years ago... it's in mostly shade so it doesn't grow as quickly as it could with more sun, but that's ok... from chop to root base it's about 7-8" tall. It was planted on a tile and there is a decent nebari forming. The top was chopped, heavy roots above the base were removed, the rest were cut back, and its back on the tile in the ground.

Last edited:

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
View attachment 131812 View attachment 131813
This has been a busy weekend for me trees in pots and in the ground are waking up and they all need work. This is a seedling I planed out 3-4 years ago... it's in mostly shade so it doesn't grow as quickly as it could with more sun, but that's ok... from chop to root base it's about 7-8" tall. It was planted on a tile and there is a decent nebari forming. The top was chopped, heavy roots above the base were removed, the rest were cut back, and its back on the tile in the ground.
Chop lower.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
In all seriousness, this one is going to be in the ground for another 10 to 15 years or more... hoping for a base at least 8" across and a tree at least 2' tall.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am a little confused. If you are gorowing this out for another 10 years, why did you just chop it?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am a little confused. If you are gorowing this out for another 10 years, why did you just chop it?
Seriously, more frequent chops mean more movement and character with smaller, less obvious chop scars... at the expense of trunk size. It'll take longer to get to the size I want, but I'm having fun, so I don't care:).

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
OK. Trident is just one of thsoe that seal chops quite easily. So I would have though you first get the base to maybe half of the desired, and then start the frequent chopping. :)

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, the last trident pictured above was a victim of the exuberance of my dog hoard... uprooted and unnoticed before leading out. Luckily, I’ve got more in the works. This one is of the same vintage and has a 3 inch base below the soil. The main trunk was chopped yesterday and a new leader wired up. A year or 3 more in the ground and we should have a good shohin trunk and can start growing branches.
17A824F8-9C81-4EEE-8BCD-870498608C3D.jpeg

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Sooooooo...... my pointer struck again last November. He decided the little tree in the picture above needed to go because there was a fictitious chipmunk hiding under it... I came home from work to find this.... ugh! IMG_1648.jpg

Well, tridents are tough, resilient trees, so I cut the leader back, put it into a 3 gal nursery can with soil, cleaned up and covered the few remaining roots and proceeded to nurse it through the winter, moving it in and out of my garage as needed to keep it cool/cold without allowing it to freeze. Well, a few days ago, I it was beginning to grow... Yeah! Time to salvage this one!
IMG_1946.jpg
IMG_1947.jpgIMG_1948.jpg

I cut back the one large root that was too high above the root base
IMG_1949.jpg

Applied a few rabbit chewed trident seedling root graftsIMG_1950.jpg

Proposed front...(fingers crossed)
IMG_1951.jpg

Potted up and secured into a cut down 3 gal nursery can, ready for (hopefully) pointer free growing season!
IMG_1952.jpg

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I spent the last couple days up here sieving pumice, etc. and repotting tridents, chinese quince, korean hornbeam, bald cypress, and American larch (yes they all survived their first summer here and made it through the winter) that have started to push buds. Every day I have to dig around in the wintering beds to see what is pushing buds next. I thnk my Japanese maples are next in the lineup. And now we have a cold front coming in over the weekend with temps back down in the 20s so I’ll be doing the two-step to keep the roots from freezing. Like the old Chinese curse says “may you live in interesting times”.

Gary McCarthy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you plant the larger tridents in the ground on the tiles do you have much issue with the tree roots pushing the tree up? Is it better to somehow mount the tree onto the tile to prevent the lifting up?

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
When you plant the larger tridents in the ground on the tiles do you have much issue with the tree roots pushing the tree up? Is it better to somehow mount the tree onto the tile to prevent the lifting up?
Nope, not really… You saw how flat the RuPaul’s were on those trees.

Top Bottom