Some type of Ficus... question.

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I recently got my hands on a tropical tree. The tag said Ficus Banyan (?).
It looks like it's potted in sphagnum moss.
Would it be safe to repot it now or any time during winter? I was planning on waiting till spring time, but this stuff is holding so much moisture. I have had the trees for 5 days, and haven't watered it yet because the soil is still wet.
IMAG1497.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Give it a little time to acclimate to your growing conditions, once it starts actively growing these things can take anything you throw at them. Oh and it is called a ginseng ficus because of the buttressing roots but the variety is a ficus microcarpa.

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
But really, if the tree isn't showing any negative health signs, why worry about it?
I agree. Some of my tropicals stay wet that long in a mixture of pumice, lava, and large pine park. Equal parts. Drains ad fast as you pour it in yet stays wet 5+ days sometimes.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Damn it Just Wing It!

I will let @Starfox address this one.
He already knows my thoughts on it!

Lol.

Seriously....these are mad fun to f with all winter! You could Probly repot now...
IMO....these are grown in well maintained conditions that could allow for health in that soil. Chances are You are not matching those conditions. Small changes in humidity levels, light, and airflow, make a huge difference in how wet sphagnum acts....and what shit grows in it.

I just locked my ginseng in Tent's vault....but it is rebounding well here....aviary-image-1451835360189.jpeg
To the north so it gets bright indirect light too. I will move it up when space allows.
It grew like shit in a plastic ham container...but has done Exceptionally well in DE and pine fines...and the pine fines actually make the DE dry faster....and now in a basket to breathe...
That's my Math.....
Sounds like you should repot it....

And note the radiators that almost never get brought up in indoor discussions.
You and I know what a difference that makes...but it is nary considered.

Unless we are in greenhouses....we simply can't do Tropicals like they do where it's warm.
That's why Ironbeaver is so concerned about humidity percentages...necessity.

Anywho....people don't like listening to my logic...they should go play in the atmosphere created under the vent of a rooftop unit in Chicago when it's below 0.
I am completely uneducated!;)

Sorce

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Hey wait, it's beer o'clock. I'm off for the day. Not that I was ever "on".

I couldn't possibly add any more info to that which has already been posted above.
Still nice little tree, can we see more pics of the trunks?

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I'll take a few more pics when I get home. I have large humidity tray on its way via UPS.
I probably will wait for some new growth before I mess with it.
Thanks everyone!

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I was thinking about cutting out the root hanging down in the middle, and making small cuts in the remaining roots to fit a nice rock in there.
If I were to do that, would the damaged parts of the roots heal over the rock a bit?
Or is that a bad idea....

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I was thinking about cutting out the root hanging down in the middle, and making small cuts in the remaining roots to fit a nice rock in there.
If I were to do that, would the damaged parts of the roots heal over the rock a bit?
Or is that a bad idea....
It should heal, ficus are very good at healing and fusing to things.

Aaron

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I read that they take well to root pruning. Does that mean I can really take em down hard, when the time comes?
I wanna get it into the smallest pot possible.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I read that they take well to root pruning. Does that mean I can really take em down hard, when the time comes?
I wanna get it into the smallest pot possible.
Yes, they can be taken back quite hard with the right after care read this blog this guy is like my idol just search ginseng ficus and you will learn a lot adamaskwhy.com

carp

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes, they can be taken back quite hard with the right after care read this blog this guy is like my idol just search ginseng ficus and you will learn a lot adamaskwhy.com

adam is a close friend of mine. now is not that time to chop roots on ficus unless you are working with a heated greenhouse. just wait.

Top Bottom