Some winter silhouettes and overwintering set up

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
I seldom post many pics of my trees, but I was enjoying the clean up of some deciduous trees as I just put them in storage for the winter. And I am feeling more outgoing lately ;) I will include some before shots eventually.

They have not been trimmed for awhile, as I normally let them just grow for the fall in order to build up strength. I will also include some overwintering routines and lessons learned.

First, I overwinter in an unheated garage, which I have the mixed blessing of great insulation. If I do nothing it will stay at 45-55f. So, I use a high powered exhaust fan and a lower powered intake fan all operated by a plug in greenhouse thermostat. When it hits 40f they turn on. When it gets back down to 35-ish they shut down.

image.jpg

Winged elm..34 inches tall...been in a box 2 years. I collected this 3.5 years ago in central Oklahoma and have grown every secondary branch in that time.
image.jpg

Another winged elm, that had almost no branches 4 years ago. It was collected in Oklahoma also and has a great hollow. It's in a very old "Tokoname" pot.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
Next is a trident, that about 4 years ago I cut every primary branch back to a stub and have since been regrowing. I a couple of years I think it will be excellent.
image.jpg

A large root over rock I am regrowing as well. It was week last year and so it was planted in a mica pot with many many holes drilled in sides and bottom. It thrived this year and is ready to begin building ramification next season.
image.jpg

More little tridents....
image.jpg
image.jpg

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
More tridents.....I have about 100 tridents in one stage of development or another....influence of my good friend and bonsai teacher.
image.jpg

More overwintering area...
image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
Over the coming weeks, I will post some more information and before/afters as I work through my winter routine of cleaning deadwood and bark on shimpaku, needle plucking and other seasonal tasks, as well as some flowering and fruiting varieties ( chojubai, ume, princess persimmon, dwarf cherry)

As for winter, this only works for me in the Midwest, so apply the basics as necessary. I generally leave trees out to get a good dose of cold weather below freezing several times and strive to keep them out or at least under benches until 12/1. That means turning my benches into cold frames. Once my 10 day forecast is consistently averaging 25f, or so I bring everything inside. I apply copper and daconil through the growning season, but use copper once in November, then lime sulfur within a day or two of bringing trees inside. As I mentioned before consistent temps in the winter are very important. A thermostat to heat or cool your area is a cheap and smart investment.

Hope you enjoyed the trees. More to come soon.

image.jpg

Last edited:

lordy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I cant believe you are even pursuing bonsai as a pasttime. Why dont you just box em all up and ship them to me and I will see to it that they end up in a good home.

Seriously, you have some stellar trees in your collection. I tip my hat to you and how you have done what your instructor has taught. VERY nice trees.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
I agree, great looking trees. Please continue to post pictures. It beats the argument of the day.

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Awesome pictures and trees. I wish I could keep junipers like that. They just stretch and get all leggy here.

Willing to share who the teacher is?

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wow, nice collection!!! :cool:

Thanks for sharing! Would love to hear the story...before and after. :)

fraser67

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
PST
Glad you're feeling more outgoing:), thanks for sharing!!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Great to see someone sharing their collection. Some really good things, I'd love to see more, and looking forward to seeing your winter routine.
I have surestat stuff too, it's solid.

MACH5

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Yes really fantastic looking trees! Thanks for sharing with us!

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
I agree, great looking trees. Please continue to post pictures. It beats the argument of the day.

Very true, and that is much of the reason I post very little.

As far as before and afters are concerned....

Hers is the giant winged elm 2.5 years ago...and then today.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Hollow trunk before and after...about 3.5, 2.5 years ago and today
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Droooollllllll....

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
Juniper before and after, this is about 3 years. It was very weak when I got it, gray foliage and very leggy. The after was at the beginning of may 2013. It has since filled in very well.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Hope you enjoy.

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
Awesome pictures and trees. I wish I could keep junipers like that. They just stretch and get all leggy here.

Willing to share who the teacher is?

Al, I've enjoyed your progressions on trident maples. Thank you for posting. Any reason in particular junipers don't do so well there? That's a tree that seems like can grow well almost anywhere.

I've been doing bonsai for about 7 or 8 years now and have been studying with my good friend Matt Ouwinga (www.kaedebonsai.com) pretty much the entire time....about 7 years.

Thanks for you compliments Al.

youngsai

Mame
Reaction score
Very cool progression here, that elm seemed to ramify lightning quick! How many haircuts you give it in that 2.5 yr period?

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
As for the elms ramification, I wire in early winter, then trim as buds are swelling. I remove the wire in April or may, then trim again in may or so, and just keep after it all summer. I usually do a second wiring in June. I will start pinching it this next season and it will become even more dense.

Winged elm could be the best deciduous species for bonsai that are native to the US. It's just very tough to find one that is not a gun barrel straight. These were browsed by cattle for many years.

Thanks

GO-OK

Mame
Reaction score
Trident before and after. This was cut back hard to develop some branch taper. I generally wire are the first usable flush of growth is lignified. Often in tridents that means the second flush, simply because the first push of new growth has long internodes.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Neli

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
hot
Very nice trees, and the ones imported from Japan are very cute too.

Top Bottom