Some work on a Utah Juniper

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
A quick and dirty phone photo.
I collected this tree about six years ago in the White Mountains not far from the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.
I did some big bends and branch placement last year and today I wired some foliage and cleaned and lime - sulfured the deadwood.

utah 9-3-16.jpg

Stickroot

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I collected this tree about six years ago in the White Mountains not far from the Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest.
I did some big bends and branch placement last year and today I wired some foliage and cleaned and lime - sulfured the deadwood.

View attachment 116073
Looking good!
So does that stone IPA! I haven't had a good IPA in a while.
How is the juvenile foliage on these, spikey?

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I must say, if this picture had more quatiliy and there wasn't a wheelbarrow in the background I would want it as a poster, the color is kinda good and also I like the composition of it all. Or maybe I got distracted by this awesome bonsai tree in the middle! :)

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I love the White Mnts, Paul. Spent a great deal of time there, in the Inyos and Panamints. You're fortunate to have them so close.

I like to study the dead wood and live vein in junipers, so perhaps I'm looking to,closely. You have a great piece of deadwood, but I couldn't really understand the relationship to the live vein from the photo. Can you help us understand?

Thanks
Scott

PaulH

Omono
Reaction score
I love the White Mnts, Paul. Spent a great deal of time there, in the Inyos and Panamints. You're fortunate to have them so close.

I like to study the dead wood and live vein in junipers, so perhaps I'm looking to,closely. You have a great piece of deadwood, but I couldn't really understand the relationship to the live vein from the photo. Can you help us understand?

Thanks
Scott

This tree is definitely about the deadwood for me. The foliage on Utah junipers is not the best but this one is acceptable.
The live vein can be seen beginning at the bottom right and travels up the bottom and back of the trunk to the point where the trunk bends down at about 90 degrees where the live crosses over to the top and divides. At this point I made a large bend to bring a foliage mass back to the base for the apex and left one branch growing down for the cascade. I found it a challenge to find a potting position that featured the deadwood but still showed live vein, especially at the soil line but this was the best I could come up with. The tree was originally much more upright and boring.

The live wood at the base:

IMG_0944 (2).JPG

The big bend:

IMG_0940.JPG

Gotta love natural deadwood!:

IMG_0945.JPG

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
This tree is definitely about the deadwood for me. The foliage on Utah junipers is not the best but this one is acceptable.
The live vein can be seen beginning at the bottom right and travels up the bottom and back of the trunk to the point where the trunk bends down at about 90 degrees where the live crosses over to the top and divides. At this point I made a large bend to bring a foliage mass back to the base for the apex and left one branch growing down for the cascade. I found it a challenge to find a potting position that featured the deadwood but still showed live vein, especially at the soil line but this was the best I could come up with. The tree was originally much more upright and boring.

The live wood at the base:

View attachment 116116

The big bend:

View attachment 116117

Gotta love natural deadwood!:

View attachment 116118

I think it really works as a semi-cascade. Thanks for the additional pictures of the deadwood - that helped me to understand the interaction much better.

Scott

jquast

Chumono
Reaction score
Nice looking juni Paul!!! Looks like you've got a dragon's head popping out in the deadwood at the top.

Top Bottom