Somebody stop me. New Chinese Elm

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Bought this elm mostly for its base and nice movement at the bottom and was inexpensive. When I decide to chop it, which one would be the best option?

preferably I’d like to do the yellow chop and hope for some back budding but it’s definitely a gamble.

Attachments

• 6B4F09ED-4819-4345-8F36-67D7D5C69F4F.jpeg
    6B4F09ED-4819-4345-8F36-67D7D5C69F4F.jpeg
    231.8 KB · Views: 213

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'd go a little lower, maybe an inch, below your yellow line. Great start!

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Why not air layer it and have 2 trees! Also what is with the bark at the base, never seen that before?
Lace bark elms eventually shed their outer layer of silver bark to a reddish underneath.

Maybe I’ll air layer it, really full on trees though lol. Air Layers should result in the same back budding correct? Since both a chop and layer sever the nutrient flow?

Last edited:

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
When I decide to chop it, which one would be the best option?

preferably I’d like to do the yellow chop and hope for some back budding but it’s definitely a gamble.
Every chop is a gamble but with Chinese elm the odds are definitely in our favour. They will bud profusely all round the edges of cuts and usually also from the trunk below the chop.

I would also go low. The blue chop leaves a straight section of trunk with little taper.
Yellow fits in more with the existing bends.

Layering will still stimulate some buds but for some reason far less than a direct chop. Maybe it's the moss or soil round the site that prevents good budding?
Chinese elms are easy enough to find and usually quite cheap and quick to grow from cuttings. I would not bother layering unless the top was superb. Layering just delays what you should be doing to develop the base.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd start the layer now, keep the top trimmed and it'll desperation grow that good low branch faster.

If you keep the layer angle as the blue, it will be good cuz tipping it (chock block) to horizontal will both allow the roots to know their plane and get that low branch the most light.

Sorce

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Bought this elm mostly for its base and nice movement at the bottom and was inexpensive. When I decide to chop it, which one would be the best option?

Did you order this online or get it local to you?
I have been looking for a Chinese elm myself with a decent trunk that wasnt bent into a contorted "S" shape

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I agree, If it were mine I'd probably chop it back to (maybe a cm below) that yellow line. Then carve back to the branches you like. 9/10 times I leave extra trunk when I chop, but chinese elm are such a sure thing for back budding you can drastically prune with confidence. I would seal it though

PA_Penjing

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Also, If you don't feel like waiting the handful of weeks for an airlayer to take, you can plant the chopped-top as a cutting. With enough humidity it will strike. I've seen larger cuttings taken of this species with success. Then you can throw away one of your non-chinese-elm-trees and get with the program

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I agree with the chop, but I don't think the top is worth air layering. The top third of the trunk is straight and taperless and boring. You will have two trees, one wiht some potential, the other with mostly none. Not worth the trouble.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Did you order this online or get it local to you?
I have been looking for a Chinese elm myself with a decent trunk that wasnt bent into a contorted "S" shape
I got it from Wigert’s, every now and then they’ll get some nice Chinese elm material. greenthumbbonsai is also a decent place to check. Most of them are around 50$ or less

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
So I went with the low chop about an inch above the low bend. Not getting great all around budding. Just very condensed budding from one point a little below the chop. The chop is healing on all sides and the cambium is still green around the chop. Any ideas? Was hoping for an opposite bud

Attachments

• 7E59DDAC-FAB6-40CB-953B-DAB7CFEB130B.jpeg
    7E59DDAC-FAB6-40CB-953B-DAB7CFEB130B.jpeg
    230.3 KB · Views: 78

Kullas

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I say just a little more time. It looks to me there are several buds forming.

Top Bottom