Something finally to look fwd too

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This spring has been so bad for me. With my Sister spending 2 months in the ICU then passing 3 weeks ago I just have not been my normal self where I have been able to get out and fly fish like I normally do at all. Normally I would have had at least 10-12 days on the water by now in a regular year. Finally have something to look forward to now. Sunday I am heading on a fishing trip with my fishing buddy to my home away from home (Au Sable river) and he's gonna fish with me for 3 days. Then he leaves on Wednesday morning and I am moving from a double room to a single room at the motel which is only 200ft from the river. The past few weeks I had been setting aside money from rod sales to afford this trip. I plan to stay at least a week, maybe 10 days, who knows. We'll see how long the money holds out :D. I love fishing with my buddy, but I'm really looking forward to being alone for 7-10 days or more. There's just something very healing for my soul about spending an extended trip alone on the river.

Place we stay at is really nicely situated as well. Country motel in a small town, 200' from the river, grocery store, restaurant, fly shop, and family dollar all within a 2 minutes walking distance from it. I'll have my laptop with me so I should be able to post daily updates with pics here under this thread. Looking forward to healing my soul alone on the river fly rod in hand.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I'm glad for you, hopefully your trip will bring you a little peace. My dad was, and my son is an avid fisherman. My son is actually leaving tomorrow for Alaska, to spend the salmon season working at a fish camp. I'm scared shitless to have him so far away with probably no cell service, but that's what he wants to do. Enjoy your trip.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Carol your Son will have a great time. I have a handful of friends that do that exact same thing each summer during the salmon runs. They all say they have the time of their lives and the scenery just can't be beat, so I bet he has a great time up there.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Have a great and healing trip, nature has it's own way of taking you to a place where peace can be found.

amcoffeegirl

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Sounds delightful. Alone time is very precious.

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I'm glad for you, hopefully your trip will bring you a little peace. My dad was, and my son is an avid fisherman. My son is actually leaving tomorrow for Alaska, to spend the salmon season working at a fish camp. I'm scared shitless to have him so far away with probably no cell service, but that's what he wants to do. Enjoy your trip.
Long shot, I know, but is he going to work for Mike at the Good News River lodge? I’m going to be there August 7-14, the peak of the silver run.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Long shot, I know, but is he going to work for Mike at the Good News River lodge? I’m going to be there August 7-14, the peak of the silver run.
Nope. Coffee Point and I'm hoping he'll be home by then.

Steve C

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well the planned trip I was looking forward too is somewhat of a bust. As luck would have it it started raining the morning we got up there and it rained for about 12hrs straight pretty much making the trout water sections of the river unwadable. So I decided that I would just come home this morning with my buddy and post pone my 10 day alone on the river trip till sometime next month. While it sucks that I had to postpone that, I guess you have to make the best of it and now I can look forward to that trip for another month until it happens.

We did make the best of the 2 days we were there at least. We decided to head about 35 miles down river to where the flow was more steady. No trout in that section since its warm water fishing, but we did get into a bunch of 12-14" smallmouth, some small pike, and a couple of pretty decent walleye all while stripping streamers on the spey rods which was fun.

dLV8pS.jpg

t4XBHq.jpg

qKKgur.jpg

V3bhCp.jpg

DsDNbW.jpg

XFi6Cd.jpg

https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img924/240/vMSGnQ.jpg[img]
[img]https://imagizer.imageshack.com/img922/4835/qjLuBG.jpg
u39Esm.jpg

WlIiWs.jpg

qtppWh.jpg

70BScq.jpg