Something on my BRT

MikeInFLA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
A few days ago I noticed this stuff on my BRT. It's like a sticky web or something. It's been inside in our Florida room for about 2 years. It does fine other than losing some leaves every now and then. Any idea what it could be? It's in about three places on the plant. Hoping to get rid of it without possible spread to other plants.

Attachments

• BRTStuff.jpg
    BRTStuff.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 61

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It can spread like crazy, and the little bastards can live in the soil as well. It wouldn't hurt to treat the soil with a systemic drench that the plant can take up. Or second to that, treat the plant with a systemic from the top down by spraying a systemic. Inspect all your plants carefully and best of luck.

MikeInFLA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Randomly around the plant there are tiny clear spheres. They look like minute drops of water. Related or different?

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Its probably honeydew. Mealy bugs produce this like aphids do. Warm water will clean it up. It will attract ants.

MikeInFLA

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Good to know. It's in the house so hopefully no ants but I'll clean it up.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a sign....I'm gonna end up in Florida!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

shinmai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I lost a beautiful azalea to those when they got into the roots. Drenching the roots as mentioned would have probably saved it. IMO, it would be worth the trouble to cut the wires and gently lift the tree out for a look-see.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
If you have mealy bug on one plant in the house, you probably have mealy bug on ALL PLANTS in the house. Treat everything, even if you don't see any obvious mealy bug. There are a number of pesticides that do work, read labels, follow directions.

When I was running a 1200 orchid plant collection, for mealy bug and most insect outbreaks I use a cocktail, meaning all components mixed together in a 5 gallon bucket of water. I used Decathalon - a synthetic chloronated pyrethrum compound, Enstar II - a juvenile growth hormone disruptor, Pentac 2 for spider mites and a few drops of spreader-sticker - a soap to help bring everything into solution. So the active ingredients were Decathalon, Enstar II, and Pentac 2. This cocktail "cured" about everything. Though I would have to apply twice, 10 days apart, in order to get full control.

Spend time reading labels at your local nursery supply. Malathion is the 1960's era front line killer for mealy bugs. For a while the mealies were developing resistance, Malathion went out of favor. Now, 60 years later, most farms and Ag businesses have moved on to other compounds, the resistant strains have largely died out and Malathion now works pretty well in most regions, because the farmers are not using it.

But there are several pesticides that list mealy bug on their labels. There are at least a half dozen different "mode of action" pesticides you can use. Check Bayer products, Check ortho products and check Bonide brand products. See which ones list mealy bug.

Somewhere on the label there will be a number for "Mode of Action Group". Try to find 2 products with different "Mode of Action" numbers, then you can alternate between the two and have a better chance of killing off all the bugs without developing resistance.

Bonide brands tend to be less expensive than Bayer, they are the "generic" producer of trademark pesticides.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Carol 83 & @sorce

I melt in summer anywhere south of Springfield IL. I could not bear summer in Carbondale, IL or I would have moved there 45 years ago. Saint Louis is too hot for me. Georgia, Florida, Texas, and the desert southwest are simply "no go zones" for me from April through October. I'm cursed with a metabolism that "runs hot".

I found I can survive in Michigan, without air conditioning. My home in Illinois is close enough to Lake Michigan that it also does not have central air conditioning. I do have a window air conditioner for hot spells, but most years it does not get put in the window.

Benjofen

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
@Carol 83 & @sorce

I melt in summer anywhere south of Springfield IL. I could not bear summer in Carbondale, IL or I would have moved there 45 years ago. Saint Louis is too hot for me. Georgia, Florida, Texas, and the desert southwest are simply "no go zones" for me from April through October. I'm cursed with a metabolism that "runs hot".

I found I can survive in Michigan, without air conditioning. My home in Illinois is close enough to Lake Michigan that it also does not have central air conditioning. I do have a window air conditioner for hot spells, but most years it does not get put in the window.
I live a couple hundred feet from the lake and I still don't know what people are talking about when they say they don't need A/C by the water. Guess I'm just sensitive.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm on something like year 10 or more with no AC.

I can't believe people put heat past 66 though, naked wouldn't be naked enough.

Sorce

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
After years of keeping orchids in my office at work, I suddenly have a mealy bug outbreak. I wasn't sure what it was at first. I tried Neem Oil and Bayer 3-1, didn't help. Best luck I had was wiping them down with soapy water. I had to throw a couple away already. The one I got for my birthday a few years ago from an orchid show has a flower spike and I don't want to lose it. Guess I'll pick up some Bonide this weekend and try that.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Key with Neem and other pesticides is the time between applications. Mealy bug can go from egg to egg laying adult in 5 days at 25 C or 78 F. At 68 F or about 18 C it takes about 7 days to 10 days to go from egg to egg laying adult. Eggs laid on the plant that have not hatched are often completely immune to pesticides. It is important to re-apply a pesticide a few days after the initial application in order to hit the juveniles that hatched after the first application. The warmer it is, the shorter the re-application interval. Key is hitting juveniles before they are old enough to start laying more eggs.

Generally 3 applications, repeated at the appropriate interval based on temperature, should be enough to knock out most pests.

Usually the information needed to determine re-application interval is on the label of the pesticide. But also read up on your particular pest to get an idea how long it takes to go from egg to breeding adult. Wikipedia is thin, doesn't have much life cycle data, but many Land Grant Universities have great pest control information. Michigan State University, and Cornel University in NY have good hort websites.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
After years of keeping orchids in my office at work, I suddenly have a mealy bug outbreak. I wasn't sure what it was at first. I tried Neem Oil and Bayer 3-1, didn't help. Best luck I had was wiping them down with soapy water. I had to throw a couple away already. The one I got for my birthday a few years ago from an orchid show has a flower spike and I don't want to lose it. Guess I'll pick up some Bonide this weekend and try that.
Carol, the best thing you can do for your orchid mealy bug infestation is to bare root the plants, wash them in soapy water, change all the growing mix and destroy the old. Wash the pot and depot. I have done this several times over the past 20 years or so with orchids. It really is the best way to get rid of the little shits.
I just had to do this with my pink powder puff, but in the case of a tree like this, I had to cut it back hard removing all the foliage. Its been about a week now and it is budding up heavily to leaf out. I have a tropical mahogany I have to do this to next.
For some reason mealy bugs have been particularly bad for me this year. I have to switch up the insecticides I have been using.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Carol, the best thing you can do for your orchid mealy bug infestation is to bare root the plants,
I kind of hate to do that with my favorite. I had to repot it fairly recently because a customer knocked it off of the window sill and broke the pot, and it is about to bloom. :(

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I kind of hate to do that with my favorite. I had to repot it fairly recently because a customer knocked it off of the window sill and broke the pot, and it is about to bloom. :(
I understand that but most orchids are not like regular plants. They don't even need a substrate if given the proper humidity. There is a few orchid only greenhouse around here and the people that run them grow many of their orchids in empty clay pots. They use a wire clip to hold them in. I know they are not all the same but if given half what they need, orchids are tough, especially the roots.

Top Bottom