Something's up with my air layer

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
So what do you suggest I do?

I believe we are still in an investigative stage in regards to this one.

We will probably uncover an appropriate action, if any, shortly.

The most important and positive thing is to not worry or care about this thing AT ALL!
Because...
Truth....(the negative) unless this layer was made to keep as a mother plant for more future tree layers, this is about as useless a position for a "new tree" layer as you coulda found on this material.
I guess this is positive too, cuz you're not losing anything!

I spy 2 lower branches that could make excellent mother plants. And not much on this, even higher up, that gives you a fast start on anything great.

I don't think it is clear that the bridging "re" growth is actually "re"growth and not just growth, because in order to know if it is "re" we'd have to know the exact state of it before it got wrapped.

Only you have this information still. A picture of it prewrap would let us know. Otherwise we are dissecting words based on our own ideas of how the airlayer was made. I know 0soyoung has great airlayer knowledge. What I don't know is how well he can know that you may not have this knowledge. I know it is hard to remember this, especially when our knowledge base is so studied.

Sorce

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The near complete lack of "bulge" at the top cut, present on almost every other layer ever pictured, is what has me leaning towards "never fully cut".

Kinda like Focker...you know, the cross between a German Helmet and...

Sorce

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'd like to know what @Deep Sea Diver and @0soyoung are calling these 2 parts.
Not one of those, ut if you do not mind..

The green is the sapwood or xylem. The red is new bark being formed by the cambium.
One impotant thing to add to your graph, the cambium layer is the layer were pretty much all the thickness growth comes from. This is the main segment of the trunk where cell division & subsequent growth happens AND where the roots start.

The cambium was not properly removed and the tree has bridged the gap. Recut. Seal, hopefully get roots.
Why the individual branches are wilting, unclear from the picture. Leaving things as they are will probably not solve it either.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The green is the sapwood or xylem. The red is new bark being formed by the cambium.

No worries, let me just add the picture!
Capture+_2021-05-15-13-49-18(1).png

I don't mind another answer, I just have a feeling they may have been "seeing" different things.

I can't really make out anything, but I think that's how I "saw" it too.

Sorce

Top Bottom