Sometimes it's the POT

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have been dissatisfied with my procumbens for ....some...reason.

Finally figured out it was the big formal rectangular pot.

So I got a ROUND pot.

I like it better. Pic of the old one accompanies.

2017 procumbens 1.jpg 2017 procumbens 2.jpg procumbens juniper.jpg

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Is the second picture the front? I much prefer that side. I quite like the tree though!

c54fun

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cool looking tree. Round pot looks much better.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Yes it is. Even was when it was in that bathtub.:D
Cool thing with round pots is that you can vary it for different aspects once in a while.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Not possible. Thick, stiff, and hard.

Unless there's a special trick, any try would split and crack.
Those are half inch and more branches.

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Peter Tea is at the club tonight.
He may know a way.
He most certainly does! Half an inch thick? Easy!

Two words: copper wire

Edit: I originally posted "guy wire" and "rebar". Then I went and looked at it again. I now think all it needs is a good wire job.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
duhhhh.... as I was finishing my shower and now able to get OFF the tablet and ON the computer, I was ..er.."thinking"

I spose I could even just TETHER the limbs in and gradually bring them in tighter.

I shouldn't try thinking before 8 AM.

Then I could tether my brain and "bring it in tighter" over time. :oops:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
The limb that has caught ALL my attention is that goofy upside down "3" on the side.
I have puzzled at that thing for years. It is the LARGEST, STIFFEST, one of the whole bunch.
When you say "wire" are you thinking in the conventional way of just wrapping and positioning GRADUALLY or tether like I'm considering?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
The limb that has caught ALL my attention is that goofy upside down "3" on the side.
I have puzzled at that thing for years. It is the LARGEST, STIFFEST, one of the whole bunch.
When you say "wire" are you thinking in the conventional way of just wrapping and positioning GRADUALLY or tether like I'm considering?

Well, in a perfect world you wouldn't have the soft bend close to the trunk. That will be your bend point. If you gradually bring the branch down, you won't get rid of the bend and it will remain a bow because the bending stress will be spread evenly over the entire branch. If it were my tree, I'd wrap it tightly with raffia at the base, overwire it, and pull it down in one go and secure it in place in the final position that you want.

Note in my 1st virt I simply cleaned up your outline by removing about 1/3 of the foliage and extraneous branches. When you pull the branch on the left down, you will want to reduce your apex density by at least 50% to maintain the new profile.

Before

2017-procumbens-2.jpg
Tighter

proc4.jpg
Better

proc5.jpg

Last edited:

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Well, in a perfect world you wouldn't have the soft bend close to the trunk. That will be your bend point. If you gradually bring the branch down, you won't get rid of the bend and it will remain a bow. If it were my tree, I'd wrap it tightly with raffia at the base, overwire it, and pull it down in one go and secure it in place in the final position that you want.

Note in my virt I simply cleaned up your outline by removing about 1/3 of the foliage and extraneous branches. When you pull the branch on the left down, you will want to reduce your apex density by at least 50% to maintain the new profile.
Did I miss the virt? I didn't see one.
????

chicago1980

Omono
Reaction score
Well, in a perfect world you wouldn't have the soft bend close to the trunk. That will be your bend point. If you gradually bring the branch down, you won't get rid of the bend and it will remain a bow because the bending stress will be spread evenly over the entire branch. If it were my tree, I'd wrap it tightly with raffia at the base, overwire it, and pull it down in one go and secure it in place in the final position that you want.

Note in my 1st virt I simply cleaned up your outline by removing about 1/3 of the foliage and extraneous branches. When you pull the branch on the left down, you will want to reduce your apex density by at least 50% to maintain the new profile.

Before

View attachment 134026
Tighter

View attachment 134027
Better

View attachment 134028
3rd photo is what I see in my head. looks like a great old tree.

Mike Corazzi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Okay. Then you're not saying to try to get THIS limb to angle down steeply right from the trunk.

Whew.

0228170946.jpg

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Okay. Then you're not saying to try to get THIS limb to angle down steeply right from the trunk.

Whew.

You can do it. It looks intimidating but let me guarantee you in the world of branch-bending that wouldn't even be considered that big. Just wrap it tightly with raffia first so you don't split it. The tighter that bend, the better. If you have never done a big bend before, take it to a club meeting and make it a group project :) You can always use rebar for leverage if you need to, but it honestly doesn't look that bad.

Consider a heavy duty pipe clamp if you need to, with clamping blocks to protect the wood.

Check this out for some extreme bending. You aren't talking about doing anything half as dramatic.

Last edited:
Top Bottom