Somewhat new to Bonsai, not sure what to do with overgrown Chinese Elm

marcaddeo

Seed
Reaction score
Hi, I'm somewhat new to Bonsai in the sense that I do not know what I'm doing haha. I've been keeping a Chinese Elm for the past four years and just... never got around to trimming it or repotting it. So basically, it's very overgrown.

I was wondering what my best course of action for this tree? I think it still looks pretty healthy.. Here are some images: http://imgur.com/a/tO9g0#0

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's a bit tricky seeing the branching in these photos. It is most helpful if the photos are taken at "Ground level" that is, with the pot being the ground.

My first thought is, do you keep this tree indoors? If so, it will not live too long. It looks like it has a decent base, so I think you have some potential. Can you take it outside and shoot a couple more pictures?

Chinese elm grow fast, and they sprout new branches easily so you'll have fun with this tree.

marcaddeo

Seed
Reaction score
It's always been difficult capturing a picture of this tree, the branches go every which way. Can you suggest an angle that would provide more insight for you?

Why do you not think it will live indoors for very long? I've had it indoors for the past four years.

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
image.jpg

I wasn't sure where to start. It does look healthy, it does look overgrown. Your pruning issues are two fold. First it's so overgrown it has to be clipped back pretty hard. But you need to have an idea of the branches you want to keep. It's hard for us to see either.

I included the picture of my elm to show you how you need to select certain branches to keep. At this point on my tree the buds grow out then after a month or so I cut it back to only 1-3 leaves on that growth point. I do that two- three times in the summer.

In your case you need to think about what branches you want to keep. You probably need to do all of this in stages. I think stage one is to just trim every branch back so it's 4-5 inches from the trunk. Next would be to let it grow and come back to health. In the mean time a picture of what it looks like after that might help see a form that you could begin to keep.

Best thing of all is to find someone local who could help you out. Not sure where you live but there are a lot of clubs around people here could point you to.

marcaddeo

Seed
Reaction score
Luckily I live about 15 minutes away from New England Bonsai, so I will hopefully find time next weekend to take a trip over there and see what they think. I just thought I'd get some opinions online first.

How do I determine what branches to keep... That's somewhat of a rhetorical question, as I know it's all preference.. But it's so hard to chose!

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello marcaddeo, all trees do best outside. Especially in Spring, Summer and Fall. Your tree is alive. However, is appears a bit weak. When Spring comes and temps are consistantly above 55 degrees F. Keep it outside in a spot that gets a few hours of sun a day. Then in a couple of weeks, to a spot that gets about 8 hours a day. Also, you will have to pay attention to watering. Since it is outside, it will require more watering.

Rob

fourteener

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Luckily I live about 15 minutes away from New England Bonsai, so I will hopefully find time next weekend to take a trip over there and see what they think. I just thought I'd get some opinions online first.

How do I determine what branches to keep... That's somewhat of a rhetorical question, as I know it's all preference.. But it's so hard to chose!

Since your so close to New England Bonsai I would just go talk with them. There are a lot of design ideas about which branches should stay and go. If you are really interested in bonsai there are a lot of resources that would cover that kind of thing as well as a lot of other things.

You are blessed to have a wealth of info so close. Bonsai people love to help each other. Enjoy the journey.

Jason_mazzy

Chumono
Reaction score
clip every branch back to about 4 inches in length. keep it in indirect sunlight while it quickly recovers. Then retake pics so we can help reshape it!

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
clip every branch back to about 4 inches in length. keep it in indirect sunlight while it quickly recovers. Then retake pics so we can help reshape it!

Good advise but I'll go farther and cut all the lanky branches back to about 2". :D

GarlR

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
View attachment 31950

I wasn't sure where to start. It does look healthy, it does look overgrown. Your pruning issues are two fold. First it's so overgrown it has to be clipped back pretty hard. But you need to have an idea of the branches you want to keep. It's hard for us to see either.

I included the picture of my elm to show you how you need to select certain branches to keep. At this point on my tree the buds grow out then after a month or so I cut it back to only 1-3 leaves on that growth point. I do that two- three times in the summer.

In your case you need to think about what branches you want to keep. You probably need to do all of this in stages. I think stage one is to just trim every branch back so it's 4-5 inches from the trunk. Next would be to let it grow and come back to health. In the mean time a picture of what it looks like after that might help see a form that you could begin to keep.

Best thing of all is to find someone local who could help you out. Not sure where you live but there are a lot of clubs around people here could point you to.

Beautiful elm.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
This is good advice

View attachment 31950I included the picture of my elm to show you how you need to select certain branches to keep. At this point on my tree the buds grow out then after a month or so I cut it back to only 1-3 leaves on that growth point. I do that two- three times in the summer.

In your case you need to think about what branches you want to keep. You probably need to do all of this in stages. I think stage one is to just trim every branch back so it's 4-5 inches from the trunk. Next would be to let it grow and come back to health.

This is great advice...and it really does work to build a tree and significantly contribute to improve the overall tree health.

Top Bottom