Somewhat new to Bonsai.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Orchid bark from the reptile store,they may have coarse for mulching,medium fine which will almost do and extra fine which is Akadama sized.

At least that's the theory.

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Never used that,the fir based stuff looks similar to the non branded bags of bark chips i find in my local serpent store.

JustinBoi

Seedling
Reaction score
Hmm.. alright. I might have to consider getting it.
A few new questions!:
Is there a such thing as a Croton Bonsai?
My Ginseng Ficus has those thrips still, what should I use to get rid of them?
My whole table like thingy that I keep my plant are have a lot of ants, what should I use to get rid of them?
Not sure if I asked this before, probably not, but does anyone have experience with Dward Black Olive, Fukien Tea, Bougainvillea, or Tropical Mimosa?

Klytus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Saucers of water under the table legs,big ones with room for a half brick to raise the foot of the legs above the waterline.

I have seen that fruit tree grease or vaseline applied to the trunk of an orchard apple does not inhibit the movement of ants,especially as this goo is shaded and develops a skin of dust and other detritus.

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
... But I can't find hardwood fines anywhere. None of the Lowe's near anywhere I can get have it, nor the Home Depots...thanks
D

Just stopped to check at the Local Lowe's: the brand name on the hardwood fines mulch is "Black Medallion." Maybe that info will help someone.

Justin, that snake bedding might work. Remember that you'll need to sift it, and I have no idea what percentage will be usable. But it may a workable short-term answer, for you.

JustinBoi

Seedling
Reaction score
Went to Lowe's, I told them Black Medallion mulch and they brought me to this black COLORED mulch..
I swear, these people in Florida are not very smart.
So I went to Home Depot (Love them much better), and they said they didn't have it.
So I think I might just go for the snake bedding mulch stuff and sift it.
If I have to I'll buy 10 bags...
Also, found some site that sells "Make your own Bonsai soil" and comes with all the materials in 3-5lb bags (4 bags, 1 of each type of material) for $32.99.

yamins

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just stopped to check at the Local Lowe's: the brand name on the hardwood fines mulch is "Black Medallion." Maybe that info will help someone.

Justin, that snake bedding might work. Remember that you'll need to sift it, and I have no idea what percentage will be usable. But it may a workable short-term answer, for you.
Treebeard -- You're right, i was able to find the "black medallion" brand on the Lowe's website.

However, none of the lowe's stores anywhere near me (e.g. in the NewYork/NJ/CN) region seem to actually carry it. (it's "unavailable at this location") I'll check around some other Lowes in MA where I go frequently, and see ...

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Justin, Pine Barron gave you a very good suggestion about the long-fiber sphagnum. I'm slapping my head because I wish I'd remembered that myself!

Barron suggested gloves. I always wear latex or nitrile gloves myself when working with sphagnum.

Have fun! I've got a boxwood awaiting repotting, so see y'all!

Oh, yeah -- I've got some experience with Fukien tea, tho I know others who've grown them longer. I find them reasonably easy and rewarding, but I do have to watch for our local Indiana whiteflies, which have a sweet tooth for them.

JustinBoi

Seedling
Reaction score
I looked online for the long-fiber so I will have to go tomorrow and get it.
I don't know why but I'm leaning toward the Tropical Mimosa...
And doesn't boxwood smell like cat pee?!:eek:

cubbie

Yamadori
Reaction score
just how much soil do you need, anyway? it's alot of trouble making a good mix, and hardly worth it (in my opinion) unless you need a ton of the stuff.

Eric Wigert sells his mix on-line, and he will ship it to you. This is how i get my mix, unless i am planning a trip down there. Florida trees need a well draining soiless mix. why get all crazy about finding ingredients, etc.? His soiless mix is well priced and ready to use.

JustinBoi

Seedling
Reaction score
I want to have these ingredients at hand for my plants since I have 12 pre-bonsai plants that I will be putting into plastic bonsai pots till I get the ceramic pots.
I will be acquiring Eric's soil when I travel there this summer.
But with 12 plants, I need a good amount of soil and I have a little (like 1 cup) soil left from eBay where I bought some.
So it's a precaution I like to take so if my plant starts not doing well and it's recommended to re-pot, and I may be out of Eric's soil by then, I have the ingredients to make a new soil that will work perfectly.

bonsaiTOM

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your 12 pre-bonsai plants should not be going into plastic bonsai pots and then into ceramic ones UNTIL they have grown out for a few years, then pruned back a couple times, grown out again, pruned back, etc. You've got lots of time to get the supplies together, months - years! In the mean time learn how to properly water the plants you have. Yes that takes a long time to learn. Then there is fertilizing to learn.

To put them into bonsai pots now will only halt their growth. You're rushing things. Frequent re-potting (like more than once every few years) puts too much stress on the plants. You will need to re-pot when the plants have grown so much that the roots have packed into the pot and water will no longer pass through the soil. This was stressed very heavily at our club meeting yesterday. Some of us were re-potting needlessly or for all the wrong reasons.

Let the plants grow well and get very healthy before trying to make bonsai.

Bonsai is all about patience - and development

Last edited:

JustinBoi

Seedling
Reaction score
The only time I do re-pot is when they are not doing well or their roots are too well packed in the pot it came in.
I have not re-potted any plants twice to rush things.
All my trees have been in these pots since I bought them and much longer before then.
That's why I want the soil so I can be prepared to re-pot when needed.

mat

Chumono
Reaction score
thrips

Regarding the thrips: I recommend pulling off any affected leaves, checking back regularly and pinching off any little folded leaves. You should see fewer and fewer thrips until eventually they're gone. This is the approach I've taken, and it seems to keep them under control. If your Ficus is healthy, it won't mind losing a little foliage. New leaves will pop out to replace them very soon, especially now that it's warming up here in Florida.

I've never had thrips bad enough to need to use chemicals. So I can't offer any advice in that regard.

Good luck!

JustinBoi

Seedling
Reaction score
Found this SEVIN-5 Ready-To-Use. Made by GardenTech.
Idk if it's safe on my plants so I came to you all :)
Also for the thrips, I removed all infected leaves and now waiting to see if they come back.
If they do, I will defoliate all the leaves (since they need it anyways) and again see if they come back.

Top Bottom