Sooo much rain....dang....

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Don’t put Plant Tone anywhere near an open window, it is basically reprocessed chicken waste and once it gets wet you’ll know it.

Yes, animals love that plant tone too, my dogs included...that’s a DEEP funky...worked well when I lived around downtown Nashville and had potted vegetables on a deck railing...I would not even consider this out here in the sticks...
I put it in my houseplants a long time ago:cool:

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@TN_Jim I got some Bonsai Jack and cut it with Orchiata extra small pine bark to make the mix go further....essentially 50/50 bark aggregate,but even Bonsai Jacks mix with his 20% bark or even the straight mix without his bark is fine.
I like it because I do not like sifting really
https://www.bonsaijack.com

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_...awngarden&field-keywords=Orchiata+extra+small
The Orchiata is a little pricey,but some awesome bark that is sold in grades. Extra small/small. And so forth

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
@TN_Jim I got some Bonsai Jack and cut it with Orchiata extra small pine bark to make the mix go further....essentially 50/50 bark aggregate,but even Bonsai Jacks mix with his 20% bark or even the straight mix without his bark is fine.
https://www.bonsaijack.com

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=lawngarden&field-keywords=Orchiata+extra+small
The Orchiata is a little pricey,but some awesome bark that is sold in grades. Extra small/small. And so forth
Awesome thanks. That’s interesting. Looks like you likely have more organic than most or all of mine..however the big difference between I’m seeing is you have larger particle size than 8822, and 8822 holds its weight in water -even if locked up in the diatoms.....not exactly as breathing..especially if it’s like a constant sauna happening

Jcmmaple

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Haha bad smell, got it. It’s for outside trees so it will be far away from the house, I hope. I plan on putting it in tea bags as well.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Speaking of RAIN!!,!
It is absolutely pouring outside

Exactly, same, third time today! just_wing_it talked it up.

I was in down downtown LA about a decade ago..and it started raining for about 30 minutes and it was pandemonium...no matter what the store it seemed like every store was selling black umbrellas and people had them everywhere...and then after it stopped there were all these janky umbrellas in trash cans, people walking around with one inside out or with a spoke loose...was really weird

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Exactly, same, third time today! just_wing_it talked it up.

I was in down downtown LA about a decade ago..and it started raining for about 30 minutes and it was pandemonium...no matter what the store it seemed like every store was selling black umbrellas and people had them everywhere...and then after it stopped there were all these janky umbrellas in trash cans, people walking around with one inside out or with a spoke loose...was really weird
Farthest out of pa I’ve been is Northwest mountains of North Carolina.
I am actually headed there to go camping on the Parkway first week of September.
5 days......really ruffing it.
The campground did install showers and flush toilets this year though so that’ll be awesome!

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Farthest out of pa I’ve been is Northwest mountains of North Carolina.
I am actually headed there to go camping on the Parkway first week of September.
5 days......really ruffing it.
The campground did install showers and flush toilets this year though so that’ll be awesome!

A bit jealous, sounds very healthy...kicking the dust up on some camp plans that’ll pan.

It’s about to begin leaning off of these dog days. September is sounding alright. Will definitely be several degrees cooler up that way too. It’s so beautiful up there.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
TN_Jim I use essentially the same mix they use at the WNC bonsai collection. It is 40-45% pumice, 40-45% hadite, and 10-20% bark (Natures Helper). I sift everything to pass a 1/4” sieve then sieve again to keep everything greater than 1/8”. I vary the proportions to have more bark for deciduous trees and less for conifers. This stuff drains very well but I can still get by with watering only once every day. Lately I have just turned the automatic system off and let the rain do the job for me. I get pumice at the local hydroponics supply store and the hadite is a heat expanded slate sold as Vole Block and Stalite manufactured over near Charlotte. The Natures Helper comes from Lowes. If you ever get over to the Charlotte area the Stalite is available at their plant presifted to 1/8-1/4” size fraction.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Good things Cofga. My sis-in-law lives in Charlotte and recently brought into the world my first nephew. They are definitely due for a visit.
And because when they are this young, all you can really do is stare at them and admire tiny hands and feet -perfect opportunity to get out into the city for supplies

Stormwater

Shohin
Reaction score
Rain, more rain..... I've switched to throwing some granular MG in the pots. Though this sometimes also gets washed out in the big storms..... I have several pre-bonsai in potting soil and a couple of tropicals that I haven't watered in some weeks.

Lionheart

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone

I use Bonsai Jack's too. Primarily because I don't know where to get all those components. I don't like to sift either.

WNC Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Good things Cofga. My sis-in-law lives in Charlotte and recently brought into the world my first nephew. They are definitely due for a visit.
And because when they are this young, all you can really do is stare at them and admire tiny hands and feet -perfect opportunity to get out into the city for supplies
If you decide to get serious here is the spicific info:

If you and your bonsai friends want to arrange a road trip to our lab and pick up several bags at one time, then it is only $12.00 per bag plus sales tax. Our lab is 150 miles from Asheville at 16815 Old Beatty Ford Rd, Gold Hill NC. Hours are 7:30 to 3:30 Mon-Fri. We would need to prearrange the sale in order to have the material ready for you. I spoke with Debbie Stringer. The bags are 30 lbs and shipping to Asheville would have been twice the cost of the bags so I just sift what I need. Toll Free: 800-898-3772٠Phone: 704-637-1515

Lazylightningny

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
It's been raining here in NY plenty too. Since I have most of my plants either bare rooted in bonsai soil, or in the ground, the rain doesn't affect me much. I water even if there's a threat of rain. I use a granular orgainc fertilizer every 6 weeks, so no biggie that getting wet either.

The problem for me is the fungal infections in my acers and malus. I finally had good control of it this year with a more regular preventive fungicide schedule, but all this rain has me worried. You spray, but then it washes off in the rain.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
If you decide to get serious here is the spicific info:

If you and your bonsai friends want to arrange a road trip to our lab and pick up several bags at one time, then it is only $12.00 per bag plus sales tax. Our lab is 150 miles from Asheville at 16815 Old Beatty Ford Rd, Gold Hill NC. Hours are 7:30 to 3:30 Mon-Fri. We would need to prearrange the sale in order to have the material ready for you. I spoke with Debbie Stringer. The bags are 30 lbs and shipping to Asheville would have been twice the cost of the bags so I just sift what I need. Toll Free: 800-898-3772٠Phone: 704-637-1515

That’s awesome, may be coming up in October. Thanks a lot

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ever since you started this thread....I haven't had to water!
I rarely see roots on this BHS.20180825_073056.jpg

I wish I had a picture of a baboon!

Please start a thread about excellent fall growth, and perfect winter weather!

Thanks!

S

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Shifting from 6 inches a month to 9 to 7 inches before
1. x inches by Christmas.
Go freely draining soil and trees that have mastered
the soil.

It is going to get colder - yay !!!
Good Day
Anthony

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Started raining last night, still raining and windy, the temperature has dropped 20 degrees. This seriously sucks, first time I've had to cook inside for months.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah...the bottom dropped out of summer up here this week.

Nasty.

S

Top Bottom