Sorce system success!

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I tried sorce's hybrid sphagnum/potting soil air layering method on this dwarf crepe myrtle. I would have to say it worked first time out. It only took 6 weeks for the roots to make it out of the sphagnum and to the bottom of the cup of potting soil. You can see the edge of the yellow plastic disk right below the top row of tape. I like the fact that there's no repotting needed when initially removing the air layer.......just cut the layer off and place it on the bench. I'll definitely try this again. I can see a bigger version of this on a much bigger and more interesting trunk.

unnamed - 2020-08-31T083626.565.jpg

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Sorce, if I remeber right, this was an idea you came up with?? If so, it is a brilliant technique. One thing. How and when do you handle the plastic disc removal?

Joe Dupre'

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
One thing just occurred to me. The window of removing the air layer could be MUCH, MUCH bigger using the right proportion of moss to potting medium. With a bigger tree, more moss and a lot more potting soil, you could leave it connected longer and the tree could grow much more vigorously using the nutrients from the donor tree.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
How and when do you handle the plastic disc removal?

Before the pot is too chock full of roots, when you still can, turn it upside down and comb the roots down like cousin it.

You can cut the rest of the stump off flush.

I like the cardboard brainstorm, but the plastic keeps roots from growing down.

There are definitely many expansions or what have you. Situational differences.

Sorce

SC1989

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chopped sphagmum in inorganic churned out a really nice set of roots on spring layer. I need some radialayer action though

Top Bottom