Sorchids

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
I love it Sorce, Thank you very much. This will deserve a pick up in person and I'll hand carry it home.

That is a shape that will actually work. Most of the orchids I keep fit in 3 inch to 5 inch diameter pots. Tall pots work for my favorite group, the Paphs, (Paphiopedilum) Round is good because you never know which direction the flower will face each time it blooms. Round pots can be turned to present the flower at its best view.

What glaze - for orchids, flowers are the key. The glaze to contrast with the flower color to help the color stand out. Orchids rarely do green or blue flowers, so a glaze with green and or blue highlights can work very well. Most orchids are exuberant, vivid or bold splashes of color. Some are more subtle. I would go with a glaze that mixed green, blue, possibly white, possibly gray, go for a boldness that would be too strong for most bonsai, but subtle enough to work with a loud azalea. Vivid glossy deep blue is probably too much, a slightly softer blue, or mixture of blue, green and other colors would be perfect.

Brown with most orchids tends to make them look muddy.

IF you want to compliment rather than contrast, soft off white, off white into ochre, soft yellows, soft gray, all can work. But with a wild pot shape you have, I'm thinking more bold contrast is the way to go.

Most of my orchids have colors based on anthocyanin purple pigment. This means depending on other pigments present and /or modifying layers beneath the purple the orchids range from soft pink through deep purple, to purple brown (when background layer is green) to nearly black purple. If the background pigment is yellow, the purple can look scarlet orange, to soft yellow. I do have some that are clear yellow, no purple, and some green and white flowers (albinos). Patterns range from mild to wild. Blue and or green will contrast well with this range of colors.

Very thoughtful of you Sorce,
Thanks.

Can't wait to peep my Paph's new ride.

my nellie

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Orchid Pots.....Sorced.
You know the first one, even if it sucks, is for my man @Leo in N E Illinois View attachment 175195
Open to comments and suggestions by you orchid lovers, and anyone else!
Thanks!
Sorce
Ooohh how sweet of you, Sorce boy!
My comment : Orchid pots need some openings/holes on their body so that the substrate dries out fast because most orchids suffer from dampness.
You might want to look at this FB page of one Greek orchid potter https://el-gr.facebook.com/pg/Κεραμ...51/photos/?tab=album&album_id=697321363664951
@Leo in N E Illinois in a pot like this I can see a cascading orchid, if I may say

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Uff, Sorce, you're really rolling. Fantastic fantasy.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Came back here to check for design information.

I can't shake this need to use my local clay fast, without additions, and regularly, so I'm fittin to Raku this line of Pots with it.

@Leo in N E Illinois did you ever get a plant in this?

Cheers!

Sorce

Top Bottom