Source for JWP on its own roots?

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
While I respect and appreciate the many voices saying “learn to graft” “find a good graft” “graft graft graft” I specifically started this thread because I want an ungrafted goyomatsu. I’m well aware of the plethora of graft styles and the many ways to hide crappy grafts, this is neither what I asked for nor what I want, but thank you. I don’t really know how to make it any more clear without going ALL CAPS on y’all🤣…(please take that with the humor intended). Please stop with the graft talk, save it for another thread.

You just have to do the "leg work", and inquiries at various nurseries until you find seedlings for sale. Below are a few I have used in the past, they may or may not have P. parviflora in stock, put in a reservation if it is an out of stock item. You can always refuse it later. There are other seed companies, just use Google and find them. But seed is the one way to find JWP that are not grafted. As mentioned before, the uneven colors and growth habits are the reason that seed grown JWP are not usually stock in USA nurseries. Uneven color meaning one plant might be grass green, one might be dark green and only one or two out of a hundred will have the desirable rich blue color that landscapers and most bonsai growers want. Similar with needle length and whether needles twist or are straight. For bonsai we want short, straight needles preferably a rich dark green to blue-green color. These traits come together only in a few out of a thousand seedlings. So when you plant seed, plant several large flats worth, because only a small handful will really be what you want for bonsai.

Seed can be had or reserved for next year at :

Top Bottom