Source for large inexpensive bonsai pots: Bay Area

cbrshadow23

Shohin
Reaction score
I have a few large collected trees that I'd like to get into a bonsai pot in the next year. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a large mica pot to save money, or a cheaper chinese pot to save some money.
What's a good source for these online? I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I bet there's an importer out here somewhere?
I found some reasonably priced big pots on Wigert's Bonsai Nursery's website:
Although I'm not sure what shipping for a large pot would be.
Have you used a mica pot before? How do they look and feel?

Any info would be great.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I have a few large collected trees that I'd like to get into a bonsai pot in the next year. I wouldn't be opposed to getting a large mica pot to save money, or a cheaper chinese pot to save some money.
What's a good source for these online? I'm located in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I bet there's an importer out here somewhere?
I found some reasonably priced big pots on Wigert's Bonsai Nursery's website:
Although I'm not sure what shipping for a large pot would be.
Have you used a mica pot before? How do they look and feel?

Any info would be great.

Look up Ron Anderson with dirty locust bonsai. He lives closer to sacramento but he has a Large training pot selection. Tell him Corey sent you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
He’s in Citrus Heights, north of Sacramento proper, and not worth the drive if you ask me. If his pots are priced anything like his classes and trees, you better go to the bank and get a loan before you make the drive. Ive been to his property twice and haven’t seen any pots within plain sight for sale.

I can’t speak to the prices - but I know Lone Pine Gardens in Sebastapool has a decent pot selection and it’s a neat spot to visit. They supply Northern California nurseries with wholesale pre bonsai stock. They also have a nice specimen collection onsite along with some accent plant choices. They were open to public limited hours on the weekend (pre covid).

I’d drive to lone pine before Ron’s every day of the week. Wigert’s is my favorite dealer for mica.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I've mail ordered a couple nice Yixing pots from Bonsai Vision. Good prices for what you get. Shipping was flat $9.95 and if damaged in transit will be replaced free;).

BrianBay9

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Once this COVID thing has subsided your best bet for inexpensive pots are the many, many bonsai club sales in the bay area. The club shows have vendors, but also almost always have club members selling their excess. Last time I counted there were 11 bonsai clubs within the bay area as a whole. The best sale I found consistently was the San Mateo club show (Sei Boku Bonsai). Unfortunately their show is cancelled for this year, but it will be back next June.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Not sure why but Mica pots tend to be on the expensive side for a plastic pot.
Might be the thickness/heaviness of the material, I dont know.
They make nice training pots though.

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
@Captain.Bonsai

How long ago did you go? He had multiple shelves, right at the entrance, with probably 200+ pots from chinese production to very large mica rectangles.

I wont speak to his classes, but he gave me a hell of a deal on an acer ginnala, silverberry and euonymous. Guess we had different experiences.

I only recommended him because he had a significant amount of large Mica pots for sale last time I was there.

I do prefer lone pines for pre bonsai stock, they have a great spot and love buying stuff there. Nice drive too.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
@Captain.Bonsai

How long ago did you go? He had multiple shelves, right at the entrance, with probably 200+ pots from chinese production to very large mica rectangles.

I wont speak to his classes, but he gave me a hell of a deal on an acer ginnala, silverberry and euonymous. Guess we had different experiences.

I only recommended him because he had a significant amount of large Mica pots for sale last time I was there.

I do prefer lone pines for pre bonsai stock, they have a great spot and love buying stuff there. Nice drive too.

I went there once within the last year. I wasn’t shopping for pots and therefore didn’t ask to see them. I must have walked right by them. I guess I’ll have to go back and take a look at his pots!

I still wouldn’t drive from Daly City to sac for pots before shopping locally first.

vp999

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I just ordered about 30 pots from various sizes last week from a whole sale importer from Florida, minimum order is $650 and it's crate shipped COD from RL carrier. my shipping cost was only $135 ( Im in MD). check him out . www.hfimports.com.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
I just ordered about 30 pots from various sizes last week from a whole sale importer from Florida, minimum order is $650 and it's crate shipped COD from RL carrier. my shipping cost was only $135 ( Im in MD). check him out . www.hfimports.com.
Lol, my husband works for that trucking company. I'll have to tell him they are hauling bonsai pots, he's not that enamored by my hobby.

Top Bottom