Source for lava-east coasters

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
Any east coasters have a source for lava rock? None of that 5lb bag bs either.

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Go big or go home...

Red Hill Lava

Not too hard to get a retail license... but you may balk at buying by the container load... I don't really know your situation. If you belong to a bonsai club that has space you may find a truck load of lava is surprisingly inexpensive if you have somewhere for them to dump the load and the rest of the shared buyers "bag their own". (We're talking roughly $1000 per 15 yard tandem truck delivered and dumped). 15 yards of lava is a LOT of lava!

Last edited:

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It's not a 5lb bag, but it's also not a bulk amount. I sell lava by the large flat rate box. It's about 25lbs a box (3.5 gallons). It's been presifted and is ready to use.

www.summitbonsai.com
Just visited your site. Good looking soil components.
Also looked Junior over. It does have short needles for a ponderosa pine.

clevetromba

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
is lava significantly different than pumice, or can you just use one or the other?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
is lava significantly different than pumice, or can you just use one or the other?

There are differences in water retention and other factors. I can't remember the specifics atm. I believe there is a thread or topic in resources that has that info.

Most of us use both in equal parts. I use lava and pumice in equal parts in my large training pots. I add akadama for 3 equal parts lava, pumice, akadama to my small training pots and regular bonsai pots.

dkraft81

Shohin
Reaction score
Just visited your site. Good looking soil components.
Also looked Junior over. It does have short needles for a ponderosa pine.

Thanks. Yamadori stock is sort of low right now. It'll go back up this spring.

drew33998

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8-9
No pumice on the east coast. Anyone have any substitutes? I used zeolite and it worked on but it is basic. My mix with that in it is about 7.5 to 8.

Top Bottom