Source for R. Kiusianum species (not cultivars)

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Hi-

I'm looking for a source for the base species of R. Kiusianum or "Miyama Kirishima" as it's known in Japan.

Similar to my thread on Sanshuyu, I'm trying to track down a few of my favorites from when I lived in Japan. I lived in Nagasaki and spent a lot of time in the mountains of Kyushu including the eponymous Mt. Kirishima where the slopes were covered in them. Quite a site in spring.

Google isn't helping much, plenty of hybrids but not the species. Thanks in advance.

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
It is hard to know if an azalea form is a true species of R.kiusianum. Evergreen azaleas are grown as ornamentals. And they are propagated asexually by cuttings. So one takes cuttings from a form with excellent ornamental qualities. So usually not the most average form of the true species. So almost any evergreen azalea available is a cultivar. And a cultivar, or cultivated variety, could be a species selection, or a hybrid. But it is hard to know. Usually, a species selection is one with a special trait. For example, better or different flower colour from the norm. Or a white center. Or a better plant habit.

For example, Komo Kulshan and Miyama Mangetsu could both be species forms of R.kiusianum. But both have a bicolour flower. But, they might also be hybrids. Komo Kulshan I suspect a bit more of being one than Miyama Mangetsu.

Your best bets could be a specialty nursery. Or a botanical garden, who went out of their way to present wild species and not horticultural selections. Or obtain seeds from Japan from exactly the plants you want. So if you still have friends or associates from your time in Kyushu, they could go on a hike and collect them? I think right now could be a good time, before the mountains get too cold and dangerous? Not sure if you can hike there in November. R.kiusianum should grow above 1000 m elevation.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
This is correct, that would be the best bet, as close as one could come short of getting cuttings while in country.

Getting a “pure” R.kiusianum outside of Japan would is hard to do as the vast majority of these azaleas, if not all, that were imported into the US are cultivated hybrids…. See article below for a bit of the backstory.

The best bet for now is to secure R.kiusianum cultivars whose flowers replicate those that you recall in Japan.

cheers
DSD sends

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks all. Super helpful. I hadn't thought about seeds. I still have family/friends in the area so I'll check with them.

I don't have plans to go back in the near future but it's on the list. I've climbed all the big mountains in Kyushu and they top out at about 5.5K' - Karakuni-dake in the Kirishima range. Slopes are covered with these pink azaleas. They aren't dangerous this time of year as they are pretty far south, just cold. The dangerous mountains are up on Honshu. I have plenty of scary stories from doing youthful stupid stuff while climbing up there. Quick google yielded this for reference on the azaleas. I think I can find a cultivar that's close enough for now.

The other really cool related experience was hiking through whole forests of wild camellias in bloom.

...and seeing the facial reaction of my in-laws when I asked them about the miles of 'hedge farms' I saw out riding my motorcycle in the hills nearby - rows and rows of perfectly manicured flowering hedges I thought were being grown for easy transplant into gardens. They were actually tea farms. LOL

Best,

Thomas

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
There are some nice drone and hiking videos on youtube.

I have never been there so a bit jealous. The best parts azalea-wise is where there are natural hybrids where R.kampferi and R.kiusianum overlap. There, you find many intermediate forms and different colours.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Here’s a photo of the flowers of the pink R.K. Julian Adams sold me in last spring. Under grow lights though…
Best
DSD sends

Attachments

• 17DBA02E-12AD-418C-961F-0F8288D8A11F.jpeg
    17DBA02E-12AD-418C-961F-0F8288D8A11F.jpeg
    135.2 KB · Views: 35

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
FYI @Glaucus Just a note… can you please double click your icon and enter your approximate location and USDA zone? This way people will better be able to help you should you need it and folks near your location can also connect with you.
Thanks!
DSD sends

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Here’s a photo of the flowers of the pink R.K. Julian Adams sold me in last spring. Under grow lights though…
Best
DSD sends
I bought a pink one and a purple one from him at a show in 2017, I think. I sent them on to @Mellow Mullet because I knew they would be in more capable hands. The purple one didn't make it in the mail, but last I heard the other one was doing fine.

Attachments

• Kusianum Purple.jpg
    Kusianum Purple.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 29

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Two other options, each of which slipped my mind earlier.

I just got an azalea shipment in from Ronnie Palmer at the Azalea Hills Nursery in Arkansas. I forgot I actually saw he had Kermesiana Rose Kiusianum in stock and ordered one. He may have another left. These are 3.5" liners. 3.50 each.

Second if you really want to try your hand at cultivating. I have access to an R.k. Amoenum “Kirishima azalea” Its possible I could get a few cuttings next spring/summer when cut backs are done after flowering. Here’s what this little guy looks like. These are very small size cuttings for propagation, much like Kazan, but I’ve done both successfully using tweezers.
A59C52E6-088B-4193-91F6-0EC4480C200D.jpeg
B60BA0A6-42C5-4923-B201-E120691093FE.jpeg

Cheers
DSD sends

Last edited:

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
In this video Tom Nuccio talks about K1 to K8, apparently unnamed R.kiusianum species. Apparently they grow these at Nuccios. He also tells a story about how he visited those vulcanos. So he will understand what you are looking for if you email them.

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thanks! The key data on this topic is between 4- 11 minutes.

BTW Even though you might not like the cultivars there are some very special ones. One of my favorites is Komo Kulshan, a cool name with a striking flower. These aren’t hard to get and just came in stock this week at Singing Tree Nurseries. It looks very much the same as Mangetsu, a satsuki, but smaller.

Here's a photo of Komo Kulshan... 1" flower size! Now that's a cool accent size or long term shohin!
KomoKulshan21.jpg
Cheers
DSD sends

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Nice! Thanks for the video. The 'Unzen Azalea' or Unzen tsutsuji he mentions at about 6:30 is from Mt. Unzen which was a volcano in Shimabara, Nagasaki very close to where I lived that rained ash on everything while I was there.

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Weird coincidence... In late summer, we bought a place on my favorite river on the Olympic Peninsula (Sol Duc) - I spend a fair amount of time fishing for steelhead and salmon. The property has 5 acres of forest that was logged long long ago and is now the mature temperate rainforest you'd expect. The interesting part is that the previous owners are rhodie collectors and built their own mini version of the Weyerhauser rhododendron garden with natural trails cutting through the property and rhodies from all over the world scattered throughout, each with a nice name plate. There have to be over a 100.

We closed on the place late last month and I've been getting to know the property the last few weeks. This morning I was looking at one of the tags and guess what I found...

RK10.10.21.jpg

Here's one with cool fall color, there are actually 5 different species in the photo:

rhodies.10.10.21.jpg

There are a bunch of small ones planted into 'nurse logs' and stumps in the deep forest areas which is super cool:

nurselog10.10.21.jpg

Not bonsai but I am super stoked about the collection and really looking forward to spring. Maybe some bonsai propagation opportunities...

Deep Sea Diver

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Awesome! Good fishing and great rhodies all at once. Congratulations!

Sounds like a lot of propagation fun.

btw: There is most likely a reason why these rhodies are on Nurse logs. It’s reported that R. dendricharis was originally found growing epiphytically in west central Sichuan China up on conifers and deciduous trees, like a temperate orchid!

Best wishes on the Sol Duc!

Cheers
DSD sends

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes, there are a bunch planted on nurse logs/stumps. The long-time neighbors stopped by and their info was that there are more than 200 planted on the property. Time for a map and spreadsheet!

Glaucus

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Wait, you bought a property and now discovered an arboretum hidden in a corner of one of the forests? Ah, joys of western north America and having tons of space.

Thomas Mitchell

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Wait, you bought a property and now discovered an arboretum hidden in a corner of one of the forests? Ah, joys of western north America and having tons of space.
More like an arboretum spread across 5 acres of forest and riverbank. I knew they had a rhododendron collection as the plants close to the house all had name tags. What I didn't appreciate was that there was another 200+ of them spread through the forest, also with name tags. We're very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. The previous owner sent their spreadsheet yesterday, currently stands at 246 planted on the property.

Here's an example. You can see one tag on the nurse stump top left but I think there are at least 3 rhodies in the photo. It's a little overwhelming in a good way. Can't wait 'til spring.

forest.jpg

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
More like an arboretum spread across 5 acres of forest and riverbank. I knew they had a rhododendron collection as the plants close to the house all had name tags. What I didn't appreciate was that there was another 200+ of them spread through the forest, also with name tags. We're very fortunate to be in the right place at the right time. The previous owner sent their spreadsheet yesterday, currently stands at 246 planted on the property.

Here's an example. You can see one tag on the nurse stump top left but I think there are at least 3 rhodies in the photo. It's a little overwhelming in a good way. Can't wait 'til spring.

View attachment 402396
How cool is that?!

Top Bottom