Source of Japanese white pine seedlings

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
SE MI- Bonsai'd for 12 years both MA and N GA
USDA Zone
6a
Living in GA, I grew to really enjoy working with JBP seedlings, but with the move to MI, I've decided to try my hand at JWP. Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty sourcing them. I've reached out to @kingsville grower and Matt Ouwinga but haven't heard back from either. I'm planning on trying my hand at growing them from seed but I'm unlikely to get them in time to stratify for this year. I'm wanting 1-2 year old bare root seedlings. TIA

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Living in GA, I grew to really enjoy working with JBP seedlings, but with the move to MI, I've decided to try my hand at JWP. Unfortunately, I'm having difficulty sourcing them. I've reached out to @kingsville grower and Matt Ouwinga but haven't heard back from either. I'm planning on trying my hand at growing them from seed but I'm unlikely to get them in time to stratify for this year. I'm wanting 1-2 year old bare root seedlings. TIA
I looked for them this past winter and also had no luck. I am in the same situation with the seeds.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I picked up a small 2-3yr old JWP from Julian Adams at the Winter Silhouette show last year. In discussion with him he mentioned he is running low in stock as well as seed is really hard to come by now.

I have 1oz of Pinus pumila (Japanese Stone Pine) seed in a flat stratifying right now, I'm hoping they germinate come spring......it's a long process. From my understanding they are very similar to JWP, but more cold hardy as they are found at a higher elevation.

Last edited:

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I picked up a small 2-3yr old JWP from Julian Adams at the Winter Silhouette show last year. In discussion with him he mentioned he is running low in stock as well as seed is really hard to come by now.

I have 1oz of Pinus pumila (Japanese Stone Pine) seed in a flat stratifying right now, I'm hoping they germinate come spring......it's a long process. From my understanding they are very similar to JWP, but more cold hardy as they are found at a higher elevation.
I'm not even familiar with that pine but I want some.
Even if its a couple years down the road.............

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not even familiar with that pine but I want some.
Even if its a couple years down the road.............

Here’s what 1oz of seed looks like. The seed looks identical to JWP seed.

20210804_173614.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have 10 JWP seeds that I never got around to stratifying. Not sure if I should follow the protocol suggested, warm and then cold which means several months, or just freeze them and start the process late summer for next year.
BTW, I just ordered Adams book on pine for bonsai.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have 10 JWP seeds that I never got around to stratifying. Not sure if I sould follow the protocal suggested, warm and then cold which means several monthes, or just freeze them and start the process late summer for next year.
With the JSP seeds I did 3months warm (last summer/fall) and now doing cold outside......I'm treating them just like JWP seed.

I hope they germinate. The shelf life of 5 needle pine seed is short. I have no clue how old the seeds are that I sown.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
With the JSP seeds I did 3months warm (last summer/fall) and now doing cold outside......I'm treating them just like JWP seed.

I hope they germinate. The shelf life of 5 needle pine seed is short. I have no clue how old the seeds are that I sown.
That's the same for JWP And my concern is the same for viability.
Did you scarify seeds before starting this long process?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Did you scarify seeds before starting this long process?
No, I did not.

I did soak for 24hrs then started the warm process. The warm and cold process should be enough to break down the seed coating.

bwaynef

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
JRP aren't JWP, but they are somewhat analogous to JBP, and might be more easily sourced ...and probably can handle your new winters. (...And don't require double/warm stratification.)

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
JRP aren't JWP, but they are somewhat analogous to JBP, and might be more easily sourced ...and probably can handle your new winters. (...And don't require double/warm stratification.)
JWP is really different compared to JRP or JBP. Especially the growth rates.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
But they look nothing alike.
JWP is really different compared to JRP or JBP. Especially the growth rates.
And this.

roberthu

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
This may sound crazy but I have 3 still planted in the ground. I am going to sell the house this month and I am already in FL. So if you are willing to drive, they are yours to dig for free…. PM me if you are interested. These are 4 year old seedlings and are very healthy but small.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This may sound crazy but I have 3 still planted in the ground. I am going to sell the house this month and I am already in FL. So if you are willing to drive, they are yours to dig for free…. PM me if you are interested. These are 4 year old seedlings and are very healthy but small.
Wow! Somebody should scoop these up. I would if I could do a ten hour trip and a ten hour turnaround.
And if I felt confident I could even dig right now.

Ohmy222

Shohin
Reaction score
Matt Ouwinga sells some pre-bonsai ones @ $22 on his website. Not cheap if you are looking for several. I bought some bareroot seedlings from him last year but he had none this year. I have not found much in the way of seeds outside of sketchy ebay sellers. @Canada Bonsai had some but was sold out when I reached out to him earlier this year. I have also heard they are difficult to sow compared to other pines.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I have also heard they are difficult to sow compared to other pines.
When sowing 5 needle pine seeds you really need patience to get them to germinate....it could take up to a year sometimes. That's one of the reasons why they cost more because of the time invested into them.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I actually have several JRP that I started from seed 4-5 years ago... definitely reliably cold hardy up here in MI. I've already placed an order for some seeds from Schumacher, along with some P. sylvestris sourced from the French Alps. Still, I've been lusting after a nice JWP shohin, and with the pandemic screwing up supply chains everywhere, they are as rare as hen's teeth... so I might as well grow one from scratch.... and if I take my vitamins and embrace the Mediterranean diet, I might live long enough to see it bark up... assuming I can find some bare root seedlings :rolleyes:.

Dav4

Drop Branch Murphy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks! It's 750 miles or so one way for me... and I could be making the trip shortly, but not until March. Congrats on the move and selling your GA home.

Hartinez

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey Dave. I just checked and it looks like Sheffields has JWP seeds in stock. Ive ordered from them several times and they are great.

Top Bottom