Sources for Bonsai Trees

Mellos

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What are good US sources for trees that are in the early-mid stages of bonsai? All of my trees are more like sticks in pots which is fine, but I’d like at least one tree to work with that is further along. I really love azaleas, but I’m also interested in Chinese elms, or even bald cypress, and junipers that would do well in zone 8b on the Gulf Coast.

Carol 83

Flower Girl
Reaction score
Wigert's has some decent, moderately priced pre-bonsai all the way up to really expensive "one of a kind" and specimen trees.

MHBonsai

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Facebook auction sites are a good option. Search Bonsai Auctions, 99 Cent Bonsai.

atlarsenal

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Have you ever ordered from any of these? @atlarsenal
Yes I have got a lot of trees from Brent Walston (Evergreen Gardenworks) and been very happy the trees and service. I have one from Dasu and happy from there as well. I have never got anything from Green Thumb but I check their site quite a bit.

Mellos

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Thank your all for the suggestions!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I second evergreen gardenworks - every purchase from Brent has been awesome.

However, I have found that I get better trees at better prices when I joined a club and purchased from club members. I know that not everyone has a club nearby, but I drive almost two hours one way to get to mine and every trip is worth it in terms of trees, education, and just being able to nerd out with like minded people over little trees in pots.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
For Azaleas
more mature trees are available from these three sites.

Soh Ju En Satsuki Bonsai - they are in California, and sell azalea in middles stages of bonsai training. They do Mail order, and are competent at shipping.
http://www.sohjuensatsukibonsai.com/

Satsuki Bonsai-en - Satsuki by David Kreutz - David is in the St Louis area and pretty much only raises Satsuki. He imports trees from Japan pretty much every year. Has Satsuki in all price ranges, less than $50, less than $300, Less than $900 and some in the much higher brackets. Email or call David, if he doesn't have what you want he can look for it next time he orders from Japan. Nice guy. Very knowledgeable. Trained under Gondo and others. I have bought many times from him.
http://www.satsukibonsai-en.com/

North American Satsuki Bonsai Center - this is the decedent nursery in the 2nd or 3rd owners since the passing away of the original El Dorado Bonsai Nursery. El Dorado was the nursery that the Japanese trained and certified Satsuki Master Gondo used to teach at. The current owners initially trained with Gondo. They sell azalea at various stages of development, and offer classes too.
https://nasbc.com/

In order
Obtained from David Kreutz, Brussels, David Kreutz

IMG_20180501_143621718 (1).jpgAsahi-no-izumi-April2011o.jpgIMG_20160609_121205_095.jpg

Mellos

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
@Leo in N E Illinois Those are awesome suggestions, thank you sir! Are the trees in the pictures yours? What varieties are they?

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Brussels is the largest bonsai nursery in the US. Thousands of bonsai for sale.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
@Mellos
Yep, those three are mine.

Akemi no tsuki - early midseason white with various markings, newest acquisition, no in bloom photo yet.

Asahi no Izumi - late season to very late White with various marking (often still has flowers beginning of August. Lost this one a number of years ago.

Yata no Sai - Midseason - photo from 3 years ago, still in development.

Top Bottom