pstaboche

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
This is my first Spring practicing bonsai and I'm wondering where everyone gets their soil supplies from? Last Summer I bought pumice and akadama from ebay and was not impressed by it's quality.

I want to buy in bulk, none of those small 2 quart bags. I'm also curious what size akadama I should get? None of my trees are huge. Largest trunk I have is maybe 2 inches in diameter.

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Are you in the Maryland Bonsai Association?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I buy everything in 2 cubic foot bags or larger for my soil mixes. I get the materials from a local landscape supply house and a big box store.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This is my first Spring practicing bonsai and I'm wondering where everyone gets their soil supplies from? Last Summer I bought pumice and akadama from ebay and was not impressed by it's quality.

I want to buy in bulk, none of those small 2 quart bags. I'm also curious what size akadama I should get? None of my trees are huge. Largest trunk I have is maybe 2 inches in diameter.
You DO NOT need to buy akadama in bulk if this is your first year doing bonsai and if all you have are trees smaller than 2 inches... It's a waste of money. You need to buy BONSAI SOIL in bulk.

Here's a decent bonsai supplier near you.

HOWEVER, if you can wait until May, you might get a larger selection of soil as well as eliminate shipping costs if you got to the Potomac Bonsai Association's Festival and Sale at the National Arboretum May 6-8

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You DO NOT need to buy akadama in bulk if this is your first year doing bonsai and if all you have are trees smaller than 2 inches... It's a waste of money. You need to buy BONSAI SOIL in bulk.

Here's a decent bonsai supplier near you.

HOWEVER, if you can wait until May, you might get a larger selection of soil as well as eliminate shipping costs if you got to the Potomac Bonsai Association's Festival and Sale at the National Arboretum May 6-8
Superfly has had tables at past Potomac Bonsai Association Festival's.

You plan on going?

Pitoon

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I am! Haven’t seen you at the last few meetings lol
I was wondering if it was you.

Last weekend I was at a pottery workshop so I missed the 50th anniversary meeting. Did you go? Last one I went to was at the Howard library I didn't see you there?

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Superfly has had tables at past Potomac Bonsai Association Festival's.

You plan on going?
I'll be up there at some point over those three days. Superfly and a few other vendors (like The Bonsai Learning center, etc.) have been there in the past. I haven't seen a vendors list, so I hope they're there this year.

pstaboche

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I was wondering if it was you.

Last weekend I was at a pottery workshop so I missed the 50th anniversary meeting. Did you go? Last one I went to was at the Howard library I didn't see you there?
Yeah I went. I had the workshop with Bob Mahler. I was at the library too but I guess I didn’t see you.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Adam Jones the only American professional in Japan is selling it in the US

Top Bottom