Sourcing Black Pine Seed.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I have a feeling this may be an often asked question so apologies if so.

Was thinking about doing a batch of black pine from seed. Does anyone have an good sources they’d recommend for purchase? Any good resources they’d recommend for upkeep and care? This will be my first time cultivating woody plants from seed.

I have found some stuff already via google, but was hoping to here some input from experienced growers, either professional or casual, at any stage of these plants.

Nybonsai12

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
sheffields or myseedco

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Was thinking about doing a batch of black pine from seed. Does anyone have an good sources they’d recommend for purchase?
Take a look at the thread "Six year JBP Contest". Plenty of information there.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
If I can get some space at my colleges’ greenhouse, are these a good one to start in one or will do ok outdoors started from seed?

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I got most of mine from TreeSeeds.com - they appear to be very generous with extras, great prices, and very high germination rates. If you go read through the various 6 Year Japanese Black Pine Contest posts starting with Bonsai Nut's, you'll get a large list of JBP seed sources, varieties, and feedback on the quality of the seed. As well as step by step directions for how to chill and germinate, and cut seedlings, etc. It's in the Contest forum here. Good luck and enjoy!

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I got most of mine from TreeSeeds.com - they appear to be very generous with extras, great prices, and very high germination rates. If you go read through the various 6 Year Japanese Black Pine Contest posts starting with Bonsai Nut's, you'll get a large list of JBP seed sources, varieties, and feedback on the quality of the seed. As well as step by step directions for how to chill and germinate, and cut seedlings, etc. It's in the Contest forum here. Good luck and enjoy!
Whoa awesome prices here! Kind of thinking of doing a few varieties just for the hell of it.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I did as well - I ordered some zelkova, a couple of kinds of maples, etc. They come really highly recommended by others here who have been using them for a while and they ship quickly.

Hyn Patty

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I also ordered 'Mikawa' JBP seeds from MySeeds.com and they arrived today. They are also reputed to be pretty good on germination and fast shipping. I ordered these right before the weekend from Etsy but they are also on Amazon.com, etc.

Top Bottom