Sourcing corkbark pines to grow in the ground

Reaction score
Title pretty much sums it up. I have been trying to find some cork bark pine seedlings to grow in the ground for years. I’ve tried growing seeds from a cone from an Ondai, but no luck. Most corkies you find online are grafted and I would rather have no grafts. Anyone know of any or have some they want to part with? I may have to go with cuttings perhaps.

Thanks for the help,

Ed

mwar15

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
Title pretty much sums it up. I have been trying to find some cork bark pine seedlings to grow in the ground for years. I’ve tried growing seeds from a cone from an Ondai, but no luck. Most corkies you find online are grafted and I would rather have no grafts. Anyone know of any or have some they want to part with? I may have to go with cuttings perhaps.

Thanks for the help,

Ed
Why are you opposed to grafted? Well done low grafts aren’t bad. Or get the variety you want and then graft them yourself. There is a guy on the 99 cent FB that is always selling them

Adair M

Pinus Envy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Corkbark pines are usually grafts. They generally don’t grow from seed. Seed from corkbark pines usually grow into normal JBP.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why are you opposed to grafted? Well done low grafts aren’t bad.
With cork bark pine, grafts usually result in a narrow base where the cork ends and transitions in the normal black pine.

cork bark pine seedlings
These do not exist. Cork bark is a recessive mutation, and as does not normally replicate through sexual reproduction. The variety is, like many plant varieties propagated by cuttings, layers and grafts.

have to go with cuttings
yup

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
You can really only propagate corker cultivars by grafts and cuttings, not seeds. If you’re grafting your own, make the graft right at the ground level on JBP seedlings. Do it right at the root cuticle. For cultivars, Evergreen Gardenworks has the broadest selection.

‘Ondae’ was from Seattle-area Dave Dewire who died last year. I’m not sure who you’d get that cultivar from unless you can get some scion material. A few members here have it. I sold mine because it was a frustrating specimen, but it did grow nice cork. I’d suggest trying ‘Brocade’ or ‘Hayabusa’. ‘Taihei’ is a good grower too, so is ‘Kyokko Yatsabusa’, but both of those have long needles.

Best of luck, someone needs to carry that work forward for the next generation. Let me know if I can help.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
Cork bark JBP are cool I get it, but I dont like them that much, they make very strange sparse ramification; very easily get inverse taper, etc.. and the regular JBP make cool bark also

Scorpius

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Nice, so you bought “the big one”!
Thanks for sharing pix, always appreciate seeing corkers.
Those look good, did you graft the small one yourself or buy it?
The Hayabusa are both from Evergreengardenworks. Yeah, that was me. The Ondai is from Mr. Maple.

Reaction score
Why are you opposed to grafted? Well done low grafts aren’t bad. Or get the variety you want and then graft them yourself. There is a guy on the 99 cent FB that is always selling them
I want a smooth transition from the nebari to the trunk. Want to grow in the ground long term and don't want something unsightly.

Reaction score
You can get that if you graft low enough. Just above the top of the highest root
I have a cutting grown cork bark from Brent, and I guess I am now spoiled since the exposed roots develop corking too. Here is a photo. I have some grafted material and don't like that you can see the graft lines. My goal is to plant out a few rows of corkbarks on their own roots here at the nursery and grow them for 20 years or so in the ground. If I am going to be putting the time into them then I want them on their own roots. Thanks, I will keep looking for cuttings. IMG_0804.jpeg

Top Bottom