Sourcing Substrate?

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So where is thought of as the best source for a handy substrate? I'm still learning so I think a premixed substrate might be best for me right now, and there are so many brands all claiming to be the best with 5 star reviews.... Where do all of yall get your substrate?

Ovid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
I buy lava rock from hardware stores, crush it, and sieve it myself. It’s about $5 a bag and I’ve barely dented the bag. You can then add some organic soil like peat moss or pine bark if you feel the need. Like Sorce said, Napa #8822 is great and your trees can be planted in 100% of it, just make sure to sieve. Napa #8822 is diatomaceous earth, make sure not to buy fulmers earth.

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
So where is thought of as the best source for a handy substrate? I'm still learning so I think a premixed substrate might be best for me right now, and there are so many brands all claiming to be the best with 5 star reviews.... Where do all of yall get your substrate?

I buy in bulk. It’s the most economical way to do it. There is a pretty complete list of sources in this resource.

S

MrWunderful

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Most landscape supply lots can get you horticultural lava, pine bark and some can get pumice.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Depending on what you're specifically looking for, and if you prefer to shop locally, you can get things like pumice, akadama, lava, kanuma, and pre-mixed soils from The Hidden Gardens in Willowbrook. You can also get various substrates from BC Bonsai in Wheaton. I can't recall if they specifically pre-mix it, but they do carry things like pumice and akadama and also carry things like turface, if that's what you prefer. (at least the last time I checked. It's been a while since I've been there.)

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
What is more important is what is available within your area. Check with local Bonsai clubs, it will save a lot of time. Unless you have the resources to purchase and store bulk products most other options will be difficult. Look for suppliers of Lava, pumice, sand and gravel. Bagged products can be found at industrial suppliers for the well drilling industry. This usually requires bulk purchases.
For a premixed product i would consider clay king! I would suggest you buy small quantities at first to be sure the product works for you in your climate with the types of trees you have. Ie: some products will not work in wet climates, or colder climates.

Shinjuku

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I’ve read nothing but good reviews of Bonsai Jack. They sell several kinds of bulk bonsai soil mixes in various amounts. It’s not the cheapest since the cost of shipping is high, but they do sell quality product that’s shipped right to your door. (Note: They have “free shipping,” but the cost of shipping is baked into the product.)

Just.wing.it posted some good info and pictures about Bonsai Jack here:
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/playing-in-the-dirt.37268/

misfit11

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Most people do equal parts pumice, akadama, and lava rock out here. The pumice many of us use is called Dry Stall. It’s used for horse stables. I get my lava rock from landscape resource companies and sift the fines. Akadama is bought from a club vendor but you can find it online.

cchpg29

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I buy lava rock from hardware stores, crush it, and sieve it myself. It’s about $5 a bag and I’ve barely dented the bag. You can then add some organic soil like peat moss or pine bark if you feel the need. Like Sorce said, Napa #8822 is great and your trees can be planted in 100% of it, just make sure to sieve. Napa #8822 is diatomaceous earth, make sure not to buy fulmers earth.

How do you crush the Lava Rock. Is it worth the time.

Haines' Trees

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have seen Bonsai Jack's products on Amazon too. It looks like a good product for sure, and they offer it in bulk which is nice. I've been using Eastern Leaf's Universal Organic, which I like for my purposes, but the quantities they sell are small and the price per quart is on the high side. Plus its a bit sandy so that's not great either. I might give Bonsai Jack a go. They even have a conifer blend and that's what a good portion of what I'm working with is.

I'll check out that outlet in Willowbrook as well, its pretty close to where I'm at. They've got a lot of stuff going on over there according to their website.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I have seen Bonsai Jack's products on Amazon too. It looks like a good product for sure, and they offer it in bulk which is nice. I've been using Eastern Leaf's Universal Organic, which I like for my purposes, but the quantities they sell are small and the price per quart is on the high side. Plus its a bit sandy so that's not great either. I might give Bonsai Jack a go. They even have a conifer blend and that's what a good portion of what I'm working with is.

I'll check out that outlet in Willowbrook as well, its pretty close to where I'm at. They've got a lot of stuff going on over there according to their website.
Definitely do, if for no other reason than to look at their trees. They have some really cool collected material there, so even if you don’t wind up buying stuff, it’s always fun to look around.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b

Don't forget to ask them for 10% off. I bought many gallons from them.

Ovid

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
How do you crush the Lava Rock. Is it worth the time.
I put a couple handfuls under a tarp and hit it with a hammer. Then I through a couple sieves to get the same sized ones together and repeat until I have enough of the size I need. I can get between a couple quarts to a gallon of various sizes in an hour. It’s fine for if you only have smaller trees but becomes less worth it the more you need.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I buy from BonsaiJack and America Bonsai. Always a high quality product. Always attentive and helpful people. They do have premixed but I tend to just like mixing my own....just because that’s what I do. And both companies stand behind their products....always. I know I’m getting a clean, excellent and uniform substrate matching the size I purchase. That’s been my experience....and what I’ll continue doing.

I periodically need, and use two other products sourced from other companies: Turface from my local Growco store which has outstanding people and service, and a substrate called Soil Perfector from Amazon.

Reactions: GGB
Top Bottom