Sourcing Trees to Turn to Bonsai

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
I mainly scour nurseries, it's easy enough as I'm in the trade and I enjoy it. However, I'm often dissatisfied with selection that I am looking for to turn to bonsai. What other sources has everyone found? (Aside from yamadori). I'm not really looking for finished trees at this time; mostly tree's in nursery pots, or even field grown with a decent nebari. Something that can be shipped, or visited. I'm on Long Island.

Bonus points if anyone knows of a Liquidambar styraciflua, Sweetgum source. I'm mostly trying to hold out for one of these elusive trees.

RKatzin

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If you're looking for trees to grow have a look at forestfarm.com. The site says they have 4 of those Liquidambers, 2 tubes and 2 one gallon. Lots and lots of all kinds of trees. Many Japanese maples, bring a drool rag. Another of my favorite for growing stock, especially redwoods, is jonsteen.com. Both have very good shipping depts.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Another good place is evergreengardenworks.com.
A member here Brent owns it. Huge selection of mainly starter trees.
Prices are good also. Check him out.

Lorax7

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I’ve got a couple of nice juniper procumbens that I got from a local bonsai nursery. The owner of the nursery told me that they’d originally been landscape trees. I didn’t get into the details with him, but the gist of it was they were in somebody’s yard for years and at some point the homeowner or business owner had them removed.

So, one potential source of material for bonsai are local lawn & garden companies. The unwanted bushes they yank out of somebody’s yard and dump on a compost pile may be exactly the raw bonsai material you’re looking for. Ask around.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Yeah, I should have broadened my original post, I often have access to no longer wanted landscape material through work. Though I haven't taken much advantage of it.

Top Bottom