South Florida Summer and Bonsai

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
This will be my first summer growing/caring for trees here in South Florida.

Call me a Pansy but I'm a little worried about the extreme heat we get for those few months. What do the other Florida members do here during the summer for their trees?

I've started to make bonsai tables in an area in my yard under a few larger trees I have (25ft-30ft tall) that will only get direct sun during summer from Sunrise to about 9am. Then again from 6pm to sundown around 8pm.

Would this be a good combo of sun and shade during those months?

Are there any species I should not leave outside during the summer heat? I really really don't want to lose anything due to the heat.

All advice and insight is greatly appreciated by my trees :)

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think you need to tell us what trees?
Did you take Yankee trees south? I have a sister in Sarasota and spend alot of time there. Different climate for sure. I took her a Corkscrew Willow which is growing like crazy. Unsure as it's used to being dormant in winters and a Ficus of corse is also growing wildly.

Last edited:

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I think you need to tell us what trees?

LMAO WHOOPS!!!! I thought I typed the list (sorry)

I've got:

Juniper nana
Ficus retusa
bald cypress

and before summer will be acquiring a trident and hopefully a black pine :rolleyes:

Underdog

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The BC and ficus will love it there. Juniper, JBP and trident need some winter I believe. Your problem is not the heat of summer so much as the warmth of winter for many trees there. Depends how far south you are but... others more experienced in your area will reply.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The BC and ficus will love it there. Juniper, JBP and trident need some winter I believe. Your problem is not the heat of summer so much as the warmth of winter for many trees there. Depends how far south you are but... others more experienced in your area will reply.

Appreciate it. No winter is why I've been holding off on maples, pines etc. I've done a lot of reading on here (thank you everyone for all the info) and I know about refrigerating but it's so new to me last season I held off out of fear of killing trees. I just can't wait to get the trees I love anymore but don't want to keep them in the wrong manner. This climate is something else.

I'm really far south (zip code 33314) I'm basically in North Cuba.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
But you can grow so much the rest of us can't. Embrace that and go native! Love those Oaks too.

This is true and I'm learning to embrace it! I'm a winter guy by heart and moved here for the family. Oaks will be fine with no winter dormancy? Pardon my question if it is ignorant.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
ahh the Virginiana :) thank you !!!

I had my mind stuck on English and White Oaks.

Thank you for the recommendation, this will be the next tree I get & when I do I'll give it a thread.

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
JBP and Trident should do well as well.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You are near a goldmine recommended to me by fellow member @sawgrass http://www.hfimports.com/
Check it out. I brought 2 home in November on way back from the Keys.

I found @sawgrass on the internet a while back and tried to drive over and visit. Small world. But it was closed so I called and the gentleman who answered the phone said they only do wholesale appointments so I never had a chance to meet them.

I wish I knew of this goldmine!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a

Call me a Pansy but I'm a little worried about the extreme heat we get for those few months.

It ain't heat - it's DRY that you have to worry about. Trees can put up with a lot of heat if the humidity is high (like in Florida). Take the same trees to New Mexico in August and we'd be having a different discussion.

If you are worried about the sun intensity, you can always set up a shade cloth if you want to screen the sun a bit for your tender deciduous. But you might be surprised how much heat they can take if they don't dry out.

Lhasa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone

Call me a Pansy but I'm a little worried about the extreme heat we get for those few months. What do the other Florida members do here during the summer for their trees?

I've started to make bonsai tables in an area in my yard under a few larger trees I have (25ft-30ft tall) that will only get direct sun during summer from Sunrise to about 9am. Then again from 6pm to sundown around 8pm.

Would this be a good combo of sun and shade during those months?

Are there any species I should not leave outside during the summer heat? I really really don't want to lose anything due to the heat.

All advice and insight is greatly appreciated by my trees :)
Hello, maybe these bonsai sites will be help full to you. I am in zone 9 flordia. I currently fine these site helpful and you can email for info to most of them. enjoy the warm weather.

Lhasa

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello, maybe these bonsai sites will be help full to you. I am in zone 9 flordia. I currently fine these site helpful and you can email for info to most of them. enjoy the warm weather.
Bonsai Mary

Bonsai Societies of Florida (BSF)

BROWARD BONSAI SOCIETY

Treasure Coast Bonsai Society

Bonsai Garden at Lake Merritt - Historic and museum

‎Schley's Bonsai and Supply

Dragon Tree Bonsai Nursery

Penjing Bonsai Garden

Wigert's Bonsai Nursery

Florida bonsai magazine

Adam's Art and Bonsai

Top Bottom