Did you hear that!

Lol!

Good stuff!

Sorce

Gregory DeNinno

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I water every day until it starts raining. Once that starts, the rain gods do better at watering my trees than I do... I have Ficus, Oak, BRT, bougainvillea, Cypress, and some maples. The Japanese maple's leaves will get crispy if they are out in full sun, Red and Trident do ok. All my tropicals grow like crazy and if I wire I need to watch closely because it will start cutting into the branch in only a couple of weeks.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Take the same trees to New Mexico in August and
At least somebody not from here gets it:rolleyes:
The high desert SUCKS, but is oh so beautiful!

On topic of the thread I think I've heard of jbp in Hawaii and Orlando. They should do well for you I'd imagine. Que @Anthony

Aaron

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thank you everyone! Damn sucks I fell asleep so early

@sorce HAHA more like a Chest of Drwhores

@Gregory DeNinno Thanks for the insight to your watering gives me confidence. I've been watering almost every morning, although lately it's been every 2 days. It's been overcast and windy (21mph) for days now. Wind is pissing me off tbh lol...

@Bonsai Nut Gotcha.

Giving me confidence everyone Cheers!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
At least somebody not from here gets it:rolleyes:

I don't live in the desert, but Orange County is considered "arid chaparral" - aka dry scrub land. Most of the time our climate is moderated because we are less than 10 miles from the Pacific Ocean. When the Santa Ana winds blow, however, it is like Palm Desert coming to visit for the weekend - the humidity drops and the temps soar and if you aren't protecting your tender deciduous (maples, hornbeams, zelkovas, etc) they dry up like straw.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stone cloud ,
Aaron has summoned me.

[1] Our sun light is more direct and stronger than yours. Exterior paint tested in your deserts and Florida fail
down here.

[2] Most of our trees are in full sun, and we are in a wind channel. Additionally, we are less humid than Florida.
Please note our top temperature is 93 deg.F. for about 15 minutes to half an hour.

So I would say just test with seedlings and yes J.Black pine grows down here easily.
Good Day
Anthony

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Stone cloud ,
Aaron has summoned me.

[1] Our sun light is more direct and stronger than yours. Exterior paint tested in your deserts and Florida fail
down here.

[2] Most of our trees are in full sun, and we are in a wind channel. Additionally, we are less humid than Florida.
Please note our top temperature is 93 deg.F. for about 15 minutes to half an hour.

So I would say just test with seedlings and yes J.Black pine grows down here easily.
Good Day
Anthony

Thank you for the insight. Makes me feel lot better about my approach and what I should be doing.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I've only been doing Bonsai since I retired, so I don't have years of experience to draw on.

In the last three years, my ficus, Chinese Elm, Desert Rose. Fukien Tea, Grewia, Mini Jade, Premna, Barbados Cherry and Brazilian Rain Trees have loved and thrived in Fort Lauderdale. I've acquired a Bald Cypress in February and it's starting to bud out now. I think you'll find tropical and sub tropical species love it down here, provided you keep them well watered.

I had a tough time with Junipers, but I see them all over the place so I'm guessing it's more of a fault of my growing technique than the climate. I really think I killed the three I had with kindness (overwatering).

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I've only been doing Bonsai since I retired, so I don't have years of experience to draw on.

In the last three years, my ficus, Chinese Elm, Desert Rose. Fukien Tea, Grewia, Mini Jade, Premna, Barbados Cherry and Brazilian Rain Trees have loved and thrived in Fort Lauderdale. I've acquired a Bald Cypress in February and it's starting to bud out now. I think you'll find tropical and sub tropical species love it down here, provided you keep them well watered.

I had a tough time with Junipers, but I see them all over the place so I'm guessing it's more of a fault of my growing technique than the climate. I really think I killed the three I had with kindness (overwatering).

Thanks for the insight! I'm not far from you in Davie.....I am curious how often would you water your juniper? I am trying to learn what is too much / little. In these last few days with the wind and not too much sun I've been watering it every 2 days.......I let the soil go dry for about half a day before watering again.....seems to be doing great.

Lobaeux

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10B
I'm not sure with the juniper. My Rain Tree and BC get watered every day, the rest get watered as needed. It's been real windy lately, I've tried to shelter just a touch from the wind.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@Lobaeux I've been looking for a good BC just haven't found one that I want to take home yet haha.....

I'm contemplating trying to collect one but not sure what the laws are here regarding that.

miker

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The BC and ficus will love it there. Juniper, JBP and trident need some winter I believe. Your problem is not the heat of summer so much as the warmth of winter for many trees there. Depends how far south you are but... others more experienced in your area will reply.

The ficus will grow like crazy. My procumbens nana did beautifully in Orlando as do JBP and bald cypress. Tridents struggle in Orlando and survive but do not do that well in Orlando without supplemental chill for dormancy.

Even in most of South Fl, I suspect all will do well with proper care except the trident. Throw your trident in a fridge and keep watered for a month during the cooler time of the year and the 720 chill hours should be plenty to keep a healthy trident.

flyinmanatee

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
New to Bonsai so this will be my first summer as well. But after 30+ yrs I'm more concern with making it myself through the heat here on the gulfcoast! Another vote for every 2 days as with my juniper, just a couple hrs direct Sun.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@flyinmanatee Welcome to BNut!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and to Bonsai!!!!!

I know today marked the change.....the onset of that brutal hard to breath humid heat lol.......

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
New to Bonsai so this will be my first summer as well. But after 30+ yrs I'm more concern with making it myself through the heat here on the gulfcoast! Another vote for every 2 days as with my juniper, just a couple hrs direct Sun.

Welcome to Crazy!

Stonecloud is my dog so you get your welcome here!

Flo Flo Gro Gro Bro!

Sorce

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
@sorce "Flo Flo Gro Gro Bro"

Sunny20Place20title-1024x573.jpg

namnhi

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Would I have to refrigerate them during the winter or are there any other ways to assist the dormancy. Thank you!
Sorry for not responding. I don't refrigerate my tridents and they do just fine. JBP shouldn't have any problem at all.

Top Bottom