South Western Bonsai

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
76 degrees F today in greater Phoenix. Added another bench today. Saw someone painted their blocks black for their bench. Liked the look so I copied it. Same temps tomorrow. I forsee a fresh coat of water seal on the other benches and black mat on the blocks. I think I got a little sun today, did I mention it was 76 degrees today, guess I will need some sunscreen tomorrow.;);););)
20171229_171458-2268x3024.jpg

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yup, you use black to absorb heat and beat back the cold.
Also for early garden planting, say tomatoes.
Like the order of your garden -----> efficient !!
Good Day
Anthony

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little more work yesterday and Bob's Your Uncle. Retreated the benches...black mate on the blocks and added another shelf. About 120 square feet of bench space. Watersealed the outside of the grow out box as well and trimmed the oleander for more direct sun.

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
76 degrees F today in greater Phoenix. Added another bench today. Saw someone painted their blocks black for their bench. Liked the look so I copied it. Same temps tomorrow. I forsee a fresh coat of water seal on the other benches and black mat on the blocks. I think I got a little sun today, did I mention it was 76 degrees today, guess I will need some sunscreen tomorrow.;);););)
View attachment 172509
Hello from a fairly new bonsai member in the Phoenix Valley. I have been dabbling in bonsai for a number of years, but now am trying to scale up in retirement. I might be needing some help doing bonsai in the hot Southwest, if you are open to questions.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am relatively new at bonsai myself. Last year was my first full summer. I would be glad to share what I have tried but you have to understand I am no expert or even close! Have you looked in to joining the Phoenix Bonsai Society? One of the oldest in the country with plenty of much more knowledgeable folks than myself. Would be glad to talk with you about that as well!

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
I am relatively new at bonsai myself. Last year was my first full summer. I would be glad to share what I have tried but you have to understand I am no expert or even close! Have you looked in to joining the Phoenix Bonsai Society? One of the oldest in the country with plenty of much more knowledgeable folks than myself. Would be glad to talk with you about that as well!
This is about my 3rd life in bonsai.....one in Oregon, one a number of years ago here in The Valley and now again. I used to belong to PBS, but unsure if I will be joining again. I live in Peoria and it is somewhat of a drive for an old fart like me to make the drive. Most of the members were really old hands at it with very few newbies like me. I really felt sort of intimidated by all that knowledge.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That is pretty far. Would not say that is the case now. I am going to retire in about 6 years so I am getting some trees going so I have something to work on.

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
That is pretty far. Would not say that is the case now. I am going to retire in about 6 years so I am getting some trees going so I have something to work on.
I guess one of the main reason I quit PBS was I had recently retired and had too many hobbies. Now I am down to just my gardening, which included bonsai. I'm just getting back into it.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
They both fit hand in hand. I like to garden myself. Knowing how things grow is a big benefit in bonsai that is for sure.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
A little more work yesterday and Bob's Your Uncle. Retreated the benches...black mate on the blocks and added another shelf. About 120 square feet of bench space. Watersealed the outside of the grow out box as well and trimmed the oleander for more direct sun.

Forgot the picture:

Attachments

• 20171231_140932-3024x2268.jpg
    20171231_140932-3024x2268.jpg
    380.2 KB · Views: 14

DeanoAZ

Yamadori
Reaction score
Forgot the picture:
For someone who has only been the hobby for 1-2 years, you have quite a number of babies to take care of there. Nice looking work area. Mine is small as I've only been back into it for a few months. I'm getting to the point on my stock that I will have to find another area since I'm somewhat constrained where I am. I saw the other view on your post about the added, black-painted blocks and I really like it. By the way, Happy New Year.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
For someone who has only been the hobby for 1-2 years, you have quite a number of babies to take care of there. Nice looking work area. Mine is small as I've only been back into it for a few months. I'm getting to the point on my stock that I will have to find another area since I'm somewhat constrained where I am. I saw the other view on your post about the added, black-painted blocks and I really like it. By the way, Happy New Year.
Hey DeanoAZ I continued our conversation with a pm. Check your inbox.

Top Bottom