Southeast Michigan Find

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
This is actually the first time I've seen ethics of collecting get ridiculed on any bonsaiforum...

Cool - another first!

Um - I can say my posts were meant to be sarcastic and humorous. I don't really joke about stealing plants and such from public land or national forests. I just take them when nobody is looking and hope I don't get stopped on my way out.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I think it is also VERY obvious that my comments were in jest as well.

I already plainly stated I had all the permission one could ever need as well as the unmentioned "public leway" that surrounds the lake. I even linked to a humous story that contains a message about theft.

What would interest me is being shown just one other place on the net where such questions were asked about stones, just one.

I posted a stone (good or bad is up to each) here for discussion, many posts have been deleted from this war zone since then. I sure am going to think twice about posting such again, why bother?

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Yes, I understand that the story was a jest and that Mr Graydon don't take trees when no one's looking. Also, I don't question that you had all the permissions needed. However there are rules about removing stuff from the wild wich is well known to most of us, but perhaps not the beginners that might read this forum as well as other forum.

However, my personal opinion is that it might be unwise to ridicule something that is considered very important in the world of Bonsai and something that is always pointed out when it comes to trees (or any other plants). You might be right about that it wouldn't be asked at another forum but I still think it's a valid question and perhaps should be asked more often?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
"What would interest me is being shown just one other place on the net where such questions were asked about stones, just one."

This question sparked my interest and there has actually been som threads over at IBC that disusses stone collecting ethics...

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
However there are rules about removing stuff from the wild wich is well known to most of us, but perhaps not the beginners that might read this forum as well as other forum.

That statement on this forum should be a non-issue as most beginners have vacated quickly from this site.

I also would like to know something? What business is it of anyone else to question the collection process of another, especially online. Were not talking about national security here. If that person has done an evil deed eventually the cops, land owner or karma will show that person the error of there ways. I doubt with my whole heart that a morality lesson can be taught in a forum.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is right, permission should be had for collecting anything that is not yours, even stones. Although anyone raised decently should already know this.

For those that have read my Internet posts over the last years, my feelings on this subject are well known. As a property owner, I will actively protect what is mine.

In this 2006 winter issue of American Bonsai Society Journal (should be hitting mailboxes at anytime) part two of a three part collecting article I wrote is being published. In each part, the ethics of collecting are covered. In the first part, Summer issue 2006 I believe, it is covered quite well indeed.

I not only preach it, I practice it.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
Tachigi said
"That statement on this forum should be a non-issue as most beginners have vacated quickly from this site."

One can read without being registered or post here so...

I also wan't to point out that I didn't question Wills collection process and that when I said it was a valid question, I meant the question of ethics in general.

I really hate to use it as an excuse, but English is not my mother-tounge and I'm sorry if my lack of more appropriate ways of expressing oneself made me unclear.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No, its not,
No need to use it as an excuse. My post wasn't actually directed at you:) It was more of an after thought once I was done with the thread. Just my opinion, for what its worth, of the subject in general

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Interestingly I read all five pages of what has become a very lost thread.... before posting what I see in the stone. I don't see a horse.... possibly this is because I owned horses for many years. What I saw when I looked at the stone is a bull... the throat and set of the head and jaw is more indiciative of a bull than a horse....

Just my two cents... and no worries... I feel no burning urge to have anyone agree with me.

Top Bottom