Southeast Michigan Find

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this one.

Will Heath

Attachments

• stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 108

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Old dried out piece of cut paste?

Without knowing the size or weight. My guess would be some sort of heavenly body...meteorite. It looks as if its been exposed to some high heat due to the crazing and the fluidity of the surface. However I have seen animal droppings due the same:).

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
frankly,i don't see anything interesting in it, just a plain old rock to me,

Reaction score
USDA Zone
frankly,i don't see anything interesting in it, just a plain old rock to me,

Interesting, thank you.

It jumps out at most people, but others are blind to it I guess.

Will

Last edited:

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
There is a face in it. Looks like a catfish with it's eyes closed. Head tilting to it's right or the camera left.

Or I'm nvts.

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Will, are you asking us what it looks like or what it might be?

Smoke

Ignore-Amus
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like a smiley face sticking it's tongue out!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, are you asking us what it looks like or what it might be?
No, neither really, as I stated in my first post, "I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this one."

So far I have heard "Old dried out piece of cut paste" "meteorite" "just a plain old rock" "a smiley face sticking it's tongue out" and "a catfish with it's eyes closed".

This being the Suiseki section of the forum and with just one other post in it, I thought I'd see what the responses to this stone would be. So far some have been just plain silly.

Here's a hint, although I personally think it is unneeded.

It has been called a Dobutsu-seki

Will

Last edited:

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
Hi Will,
Boy I have sat here for fifteen minutes trying to see what you are seeing in thisDobutsu-seki.but I came up blank. I guess it is because I keep thinking of a mountainous Enzan-seki type stone instead of an animal, but I still can't see and animal real or mythical?

Very interesting Will

A Friend in bonsai
John

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hi John,

Once I seen it, I could see nothing else.

A horse standing in a storm, mane being blown over his forehead.

I don't know for sure but I think the red "storm clouds" might disqualify it as a Kuro-ishi?

Will

Attachments

• stone2.jpg
    stone2.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 50
  • stone.jpg
    stone.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Yes, i see it now,its a horse... but it is so vague that if it were ever in a show everybody would dismiss it for a regular rock, i have to applaud you on your creativity though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yes, i see it now,its a horse... but it is so vague that if it were ever in a show everybody would dismiss it for a regular rock, i have to applaud you on your creativity though.

I agree, it is subtle, I'm not sure if I'll keep it, but once seen, I think the image is striking.

Will

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
will, you may be able to draw on you rock with a pencil or crayon maybe to accentuate the horse's facial features.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
will, you may be able to draw on you rock with a pencil or crayon maybe to accentuate the horse's facial features.
I'll leave the coloring to you thelmboy, but thanks anyway.

Will

Last edited:

John Hill

Mame
Reaction score
I see it now and like you said that is all I am seeing now every time I look at it.
Thanks for bringing up such an interesting post.

A Friend in bonsai
John

BonsaiWes

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
This stone is doing it's job well and is quiet the conversation piece, IMHO any stone that brings interest and attention to it's self is worthy of display regardless of any rules and for this reason I rather like the stone. Without the drawing I personally don't really see the horse and most likely wouldn't have w/o it being mentioned beforehand, but this most likely is due to only seeing the stone through a photograh. My first reaction to the stone was it reminded me straight away of a certain collected meteorite movie. I found a picture for clarification and hunted around a bit and found a relevant quote from the show.

Meteor Bert: Well, it aint a meteor.
Joe Dirt: Yeah it is. It came out of the sky.
Meteor Bert: Well I'm sure it did but it aint no meteor. It's a big ol frozen chunk uh s$%t.
Joe Dirt: What!
Meteor Bert: Oh yeah, see them airplanes they dump their toilets 36,000 feet. The stuff freezes and falls to earth. We call 'em bowing bombs
[chomps teeth]
Joe Dirt: no that cant be. Thats not what it is
Meteor Bert: oh, afraid so. See that peanut? Dead giveaway.
Joe Dirt: Uhhh, no, thats a space peanut.
Meteor Bert: No, afraid not. That just a big ol' frozen chunk of poopy.
Studio manager: Dude you were eating off it!

Attachments

• joedirt.jpg
    joedirt.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 42

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
My first reaction to the stone was it reminded me straight away of a certain collected meteorite movie. I found a picture for clarification and hunted around a bit and found a relevant quote from the show.

Ha! Years ago I had some contract work for Ripley's Believe it or Not. One of the items they needed was a shipping crate for the largest meteorite in their collection. Simple job - no? Roughly 24" x 24" x 18" if my memory is still working. I showed up with a crate to hold it. It took 4 of us and a forklift to load that thing in the box. When we slid it off the forks it cracked the 2x4 and 3/4" plywood crate bottom. Holy cr@p that thing was heavy. Had to build a new crate with steel framing and double plywood.

Will - thanks for pointing out what was obvious to you. I now see the horse. Very nice. How did you find this?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I see it now and like you said that is all I am seeing now every time I look at it.
Thanks for bringing up such an interesting post.
John thanks for your response. I have found that other than mountain stones and the like, most Suiseki that resemble animals, birds, or even huts are subtle in the image and take some study before the image hits you. Some famous stones are famous also for the vague but yet once seen, powerful images. Although some images in stones are so clear that they grab you all at once, I like both types.

Graydon,

I was at Lake Saint Claire just looking at stones, walking and occasionally picking one up for a closer look, I picked this one up because the botoom was really textured and only seen the horse when I turned it over. What amazes me the most about the stone is not the naturally chiseled image but the discoloration above the forehead of the horse that looks amazingly like hair flowing in the wind.

BonsaiWes,

If this stone was a Rorschach Test, your fixation on "poop" would tell us a lot about yourself. Really, can we be serious, this is hardly the place for "poop" jokes.

Thanks for the kind words,

Will

Top Bottom