Southeast Michigan Find

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
My first reaction to the stone was it reminded me straight away of a certain collected meteorite movie.

lol i see something else in this one.

Attachments

• pacman.jpg
    pacman.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ah, the Rorschach Test reveals another personality!

The attempts to trivialize and marginalize an otherwise serious conversation on the subject of a found Suiseki are pointless and serve no function whatsoever in the conversation at hand.

The same stone produced a more professional, polite and serious conversation elsewhere http://internetbonsaiclub.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=133&topic=20973.0 I wonder what the difference was?

John, Graydon, thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate them.

Will

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The attempts to trivialize and marginalize an otherwise serious conversation on the subject of a found Suiseki are pointless and serve no function whatsoever in the conversation at hand.

Will, why even bother to respond about pacman. I thought you dropped a pretty good hint in a previous post on this thread. It obviously didn't sink in the first time.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The same stone produced a more professional, polite and serious conversation elsewhere http://internetbonsaiclub.org/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=133&topic=20973.0 I wonder what the difference was?

John, Graydon, thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate them.

Will

Chris Cochrane was probably spot on with:
Consider a daiza that presents the stone modestly without screaming, "It is a horse!" If it was posted here without the title "Horse Head Stone," we might be scratching our heads before someone caught the image.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris Cochrane was probably spot on with:
Consider a daiza that presents the stone modestly without screaming, "It is a horse!" If it was posted here without the title "Horse Head Stone," we might be scratching our heads before someone caught the image.
Chris,

We might as well quote the complete post to keep it all in context, instead of just a selected segment.

"Hi Will... What is so nice is its subtlty!

Consider a daiza that presents the stone modestly without screaming, "It is a horse!" If it was posted here without the title "Horse Head Stone," we might be scratching our heads before someone caught the image. Sudden recognition out of vagueness strongly commends it.

What is the best way to introduce an unprepared viewer to recognize the horse? It should be subtle. Spreading alfalfa at the foot of the portrait would not be subtle, either. Must the stone stand alone to be elegant? "

Chris Cochrane's comment is what prompted me to post it here without a title, I greatly respect his knowledge of Suiseki and have learned quite a bit from his posts at IBC.

Will

Last edited:
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was someone's post deleted? Pseudonym? Did I miss something? I was merely pointing out that the other group had a definite advantage in seeing the image in the stone.

While I like suiseki, this type is not really my favorite. I am sure many will enjoy seeing it displayed when you get your daiza made.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Chris,

My apologizes, the post you are referring to was not in reference to your comment.

Will

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
collecting ethics

I was at Lake Saint Claire just looking at stones, walking and occasionally picking one up for a closer look, I picked this one up because the botoom was really textured and only seen the horse when I turned it over. What amazes me the most about the stone is not the naturally chiseled image but the discoloration above the forehead of the horse that looks amazingly like hair flowing in the wind.

Was permission granted to remove this stone if it was not your land, or were relevant wildlife resource laws and rules considered and understood before removing this stone?

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Was permission granted to remove this stone if it was not your land, or were relevant wildlife resource laws and rules considered and understood before removing this stone?

No, I just stole the stone, upsetting the whole eco-balance of the planet and causing a slight shift in the rotation of the earth, just enough to speed up, by a couple nano seconds, it's eventual degrading orbit that will someday cause it to spiral slowly into the fiery depths of the sun.

So do you have a comment on the stone or are you just going to throw them?

(Before someone comes back and lectures me on collecting without permission, we are proud members of Michigan's Nautical Mile, a strip of business's on Lake Saint Claire. We own a business on the strip and the other business owners there are quite familiar with my excursions along the shore line, collecting stones and driftwood.)

After all, we all know what stealing can lead to... http://www.knowledgeofbonsai.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=82

Will

Last edited:

Tachigi

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
No, I just stole the stone, upsetting the whole eco-balance of the planet and causing a slight shift in the rotation of the earth, just enough to speed up, by a couple nano seconds, it's eventual degrading orbit that will someday cause it to spiral slowly into the fiery depths of the sun.

I knew it! Armageddon is upon us

Last edited:

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
we are proud members of Michigan's Nautical Mile, a strip of business's on Lake Saint Claire. We own a business on the strip and the other business owners there are quite familiar with my excursions along the shore line, collecting stones and driftwood.)

This was plenty adequate to satisfy my inquiry.

The rest was voluntary comments that go a long way towards confirming the reputation that proceeds you. I don't really tend to prejudge folks based on others opinion of them, like to make up my mind on my own. Thanks for the drawn out answer, albeit, unnecessary. It is useful "weight" to balance the "scales" of my opinion of you. It was quite neutral till now.

Buy the way, I wasn't throwing stones, yet feel like a handful of sand was thrown in my face prematurely. Geesh, lighten up.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
The rest was voluntary comments that go a long way towards confirming the reputation that proceeds you. I don't really tend to prejudge folks based on others opinion of them, like to make up my mind on my own. Thanks for the drawn out answer, albeit, unnecessary. It is useful "weight" to balance the "scales" of my opinion of you. It was quite neutral till now.
Considering you joined the forum today under a pseudonym and wasted no time in finding a thread of mine to add the comment "Was permission granted to remove this stone if it was not your land, or were relevant wildlife resource laws and rules considered and understood before removing this stone?" which is about as far out in left field as you can get when discussing viewing stones......

I'll take your words at their full worth.

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
I knew it! Armageddon is upon us

It gets even worse, I skipped some stones with my five year old daughter while I was there, thus destroying the million years of progression these stones made by slowly working there way to the shore line. There must be some stone rights groups or stone anti-cruelty associations out there that are forming a lynch mob as we speak

I have reversed the work of nature!

I even failed to get permission to relocate these stones, surely violating some nature conservation laws and possibly even, by raising the water level ever so slightly, took away some prime beach land from America and Canada too. I could be a international criminal now.

:)

Will

Rusty Harris

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

This is my join date as stated in my profile,clearly not today the 28th of january,as you presumed.

Reaction score
USDA Zone

This is my join date as stated in my profile,clearly not today the 28th of january,as you presumed.

You are correct, my apologies, I had you confused with another. The facts are you joined on 1/1/07 and made one post then. Your next three posts were in this thread, again, my mistake.

Will

Graydon

Chumono
Reaction score
Will, after careful consideration on the collection situation of this stone I'm going to need to ask you to march right down there and put it back. Now I'm not really sure I can trust you to do that - so please send me the stone (PO Box 2327 etc.) along with a map indicating where it was found (and where all the other good ones are at). I'll be happy to put it back the next time I am in Michigan.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
Will, after careful consideration on the collection situation of this stone I'm going to need to ask you to march right down there and put it back. Now I'm not really sure I can trust you to do that - so please send me the stone (PO Box 2327 etc.) along with a map indicating where it was found (and where all the other good ones are at). I'll be happy to put it back the next time I am in Michigan.

Okay, you win, I just mailed it to you. Please wait by your mailbox, as there may be some protected moss or linchen on the rock that can not be left in the dark cold of a mailbox. Now don't leave the mailbox for any reason, lest you miss it. ;)

Will

Reaction score
USDA Zone
3b
This is actually the first time I've seen ethics of collecting get ridiculed on any bonsaiforum...

Top Bottom