Southern California repotting

Tona

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hey all,
I live in Southern California and was wondering what some of the other California members think about safely re-potting some of my juniper bonsai in January or is that too early. I'm slip potting a few which I am not worried about but two of them will need some root work and are going in to smaller pots.
Tona

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I repot my bonsai all year around except summer!
Bonhe

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I agree. As long as you don't repot right before (or during) the heat of the year, you should be fine. Best time is early spring (like Jan/Feb) but because we don't get frost it isn't much of an issue to repot in the winter.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
tona, with the exception of any "mini-heatwave" weather (like the last couple of days), january is a good month for any bare-root repotting of junipers. be sure to keep the tree in partial shade for the first week after repotting. if extensive root-pruning has been carried out, water the soil on a near-daily basis.

togishi

Sapling
Reaction score
started repotting Junipers, and then the weather gets turned up to 80 degrees here in SoCal. Good grief. My Maples are seeking shelter from the hot Winter!

Top Bottom