Southern live oak

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
I have this live oak in my yard. I rescued it 4 years ago bone dry in a tiny pot thrown away at the dump. Right now it is fairly healthy with a 2 inch trunk. It has a whorl and reverse taper at 18". Because of that it will really not be a good yard tree. I can't find a good branch to develop into a leader. This coming spring I'm thinking about trunk chop at 4" and force it to develop a new leader. When the trunk gets to around 3.5 inch I will collect it as a bonsai. Your thoughts?
20181209_133323.jpg

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Definitely not a good yard tree;)

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Rescue an unloved tree saving very good indeed;).

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Definitely not a good yard tree;)
It's true Jim. Down here I've seen so many trees with whorls and inverse taper break off in hurricanes. Only trees with well formed leaders when young and balanced canopies when mature will survive the storms. The reason why we value good taper so much is that often trees with such structure grow to stately trees. This tree of mine has major structure issue. I don't want it to be cut down later when a storm comes through. I didn't plan on having a live oak bonsai because it takes so long for them to have good bark as bonsai but this tree will be one.

TN_Jim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

It's true Jim. Down here I've seen so many trees with whorls and inverse taper break off in hurricanes. Only trees with well formed leaders when young and balanced canopies when mature will survive the storms. The reason why we value good taper so much is that often trees with such structure grow to stately trees. This tree of mine has major structure issue. I don't want it to be cut down later when a storm comes through. I didn't plan on having a live oak bonsai because it takes so long for them to have good bark as bonsai but this tree will be one.

Aah, I’m picking up what you’re putting down. We get storms and even occasional nearby tornadoes, but I think your weather is indeed a different caliber.

I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be a good idea following a chop to go ahead and dig the whole thing this spring -cutting back tap and extensive roots, and then plant back in same spot over a tile or such to allow for desired trunk thickening but also prepping for the future..?

Cajunrider

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9A
Aah, I’m picking up what you’re putting down. We get storms and even occasional nearby tornadoes, but I think your weather is indeed a different caliber.

I’m wondering if it wouldn’t be a good idea following a chop to go ahead and dig the whole thing this spring -cutting back tap and extensive roots, and then plant back in same spot over a tile or such to allow for desired trunk thickening but also prepping for the future..?
Good plan. I think I'll do just that this spring.

Top Bottom